Old-fashioned October(Cranberry) beans, slow cooked with ham hocks and onions.
- 1 – 1lb bag of cranberry beans
- 8 cups of water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 ham hock
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of baking soda (especially if you have hard water, it will help the beans cook
- better as the soda softens the water)
- 10 cups water
- Butter and chopped raw onions for garnish
- Rinse the beans, picking out any bad beans. Place beans in a large bowl and cover with 8 cups of water. Allow the beans to soak 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Rinse soaked beans and place in crock pot. Add the chopped onion, ham hock, garlic, garlic pepper, red pepper flakes, salt, pinch of baking soda, and 10 cups of water.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Place beans in a shallow bowl and garnish with a pat of butter and chopped raw onions. Serve with Cornbread.
October beans are commonly called Cranberry beans.
Keywords: cranberry beans, onion, ham hock,