- 1 pound campanelle (any short pasta)
- 4 ounces pancetta, diced ( you can use regular bacon )
- 4 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, plus more for garnish
- Kosher salt and ground pepper to taste
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Brown the pancetta in a large skillet over medium heat. Remove the browned pancetta to a paper towel-lined plate.
- In the same pan, add the onions, garlic, and thyme. Cover the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions just begin to brown (about 15 minutes). Then uncover and cook until gold brown for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package direction. Before draining, reserve about 2 cups of the pasta water; then drain the pasta, and place into a large bowl.
- Crumble goat cheese over pasta in the bowl, add the onion mixture and about 1 cup of reserved pasta water. Season with salt and pepper. Toss ingredients, adding more water if necessary. Sprinkle with pancetta, more thyme, and parmesan cheese (if desired).
- Serve with a loaf of crusty bread.