- 4 red velvet cupcakes crumbled ( I used a box mix – replacing the oil with melted butter and doubling the amount, adding 1 extra egg, and replacing the water with buttermilk – after baking I froze the remaining cupcakes to use later)
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 8 ounces Ghirardelli white melting wafers
- red food coloring
- Make cupcakes according to instructions above and bake according to package directions.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
- In a small bowl mix cream cheese and powdered sugar. Crumble the 4 cupcakes on top of cream cheese mixture and stir until throughly combined.
- Using a small ice cream scoop (you can also use a spoon but the scoop insures uniform truffles) scoop mixture onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment or waxed paper. Place in freezer for 1 hour.
- For the coating melt the white melting wafers according to package directions in the microwave. Dip each truffle into the coating letting excess drip off. Place back on lined cookie sheet to dry.
- Tint remaining coating with red food coloring to desired color. Place tinted coating in a ziploc bag and cut a small piece off the corner. Decorate truffles with any design you chose. Allow the coating to harden. You can make the truffles up to 3 days ahead and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Keywords: red velvet, cake, truffles, cream cheese, white chocolate, dessert