- 1– 16 ounce jar roasted red peppers
- 3 tablespoon walnuts
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 clove, smashed
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes – optional
- 1 pound angel hair pasta
- 1/2 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- Drain and chop the peppers, reserving 1/2 cup for garnish.
- In a small skillet, toast the walnuts over moderate heat until golden, and let cool.
- Transfer the peppers and walnuts to a blender. Add the garlic and basil leaves, blending until coarsely chopped. Add the olive oil and puree to a chunky pesto. Season with salt and pepper and red pepper flakes if using.
- Cook pasta until al dente. Drain and cool slightly under running water. Transfer the pasta to a bowl and toss with the red pepper pesto. Season the pasta with salt and pepper. Top with the chopped basil, reserved red peppers and parmesan cheese. Serve at room temperature.