A recipe inspired from a wonderful cook I had the pleasure of working with at a local American Legion in 1988.
- 6–7 lb prime rib roast
- 3/4 cup beef base (paste type) do not use liquid or bouillon cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 tablespoons garlic pepper
- 1 1/2 cups horseradish, prepared
- Au Jus
- 10 cups boiling water
- 3 tablespoons beef base
- 1 cup pan drippings
- With a long sharp knife randomly poke holes over the entire roast. This allows the rub to soak into the roast. Rub all surfaces with the beef base, then sprinkle with the garlic pepper covering all surfaces.
- In a large bowl mix onions, celery, and horseradish. Mix well.
- Place prepared roast on a piece of plastic wrap long enough to cover the entire roast. You may need several pieces to cover everything.
- Pack the onion, celery, horseradish mixture all over the roast. It will fall off in places but thats ok.
- Wrap the roast tightly with plastic wrap and place on a cookie sheet or platter to catch any leakage. Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove roast from refrigerator about an hour before roasting.( Bringing the roast to room temperature will help with the roasting time).
- Preheat oven to 325*
- Place roast in roasting pan with plastic wrap still on. Remove the wrap once you have the roast in the pan so all of the onion, celery, horseradish mixture stays with the roast. DO NOT cook with the plastic wrap.
- Roast for 2 1/2 – 3 hours uncovered or until an internal temperature of 120* is reached. Remove from oven, scrape off all of the onion, celery, horseradish mixture from the roast and leave in roasting pan. Place roast on cutting board and cover with foil cover with foil. Let the roast rest for 20-30 minutes. This allows the juices to permeate the roast.
- Add 2 cups of hot water to pan drippings stirring and scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pan. Serve with Au Jus ( French term for with juice).
- To make Au Jus: In large deep sided pan heat add 10 cups of hot water and bring to a boil. Add 3 tablespoons of beef base to boiling water along with 1 cup of the pan dripping making sure you include some of the onion,celery mixture. To serve cut roast into desired serving size. Dip cut slice into the boiling Au Jus. Dip briefly for those who enjoy rare/medium rare. Leave in longer for those who prefer medium or medium well. Serve Au Jus in small cups for dipping.
Keywords: prime rib roast, beef base, onion, celery, horseradish,