- 1 1/2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Fresh thyme for garnish
- Preheat oven to 275° F.
- Caramelize sugar in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once caramelized, deglaze with white balsamic vinegar. Stir until well combined adding garlic, herbs, and olive oil.
- Place cherry tomato into the sauce, and bake in the 275° F oven for about 1 hour,or until skins are wrinkly. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet.Add onions, a large pinch of sugar.
- Increase oven temperature to 425° F.
- Grease a cast iron skillet with the remaining tablespoon of butter.
- Top with cooked tomatoes, using a slotted a slotted spoon to remove from their cooking liquid.
- Top tomatoes with caramelized onions.
- Cut puff pastry in a circle to fit the cast iron skillet and place over onions. Cut several slits to vent.
- Bake in 425° F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden. Cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Place a plate on top of the pan and carefully invert, then remove skillet.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh thyme.
I used a small cast iron skillet.