- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted & chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked crisp and chopped, reserving 3 tablespoons of bacon fat
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 packed cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Kentucky bourbon
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Caramel or chocolate sauce if desired for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a 13 X 9 inch baking pan with parchment paper, allowing 2 inches of overhang on 2 opposite sides. Spray the paper with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place both chocolates with the butter in a large microwave proof glass bowl. Microwave for 1 minute at a time stirring between until melted.
- Using a handheld electric mixer, beat in both sugars with the reserved 3 tablespoons of bacon fat. Beat in the bourbon. Add the eggs and salt and beat until smooth. Sift the cocoa and flour into the bowl and beat until blended.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle the bacon and pecans on top. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the brownies are set around the edges but slightly wobbly in the center. Transfer to a rack and let the brownies cool completely. Lift the brownies out of the pan using the parchment paper. Cut into squares to serve. Top brownies with caramel or chocolate sauce if desired.