- For Corn Cakes:
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- For Topping
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped, and seeded
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 slices of fresh mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 300ºF.
- Place corn to a large bowl. Add flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, basil,salt and pepper to taste. Add eggs and buttermilk and stir until just incorporated.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Add about 1 tablespoon oil.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop batter into heated skillet. Flatten each scoop. Cook 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a cookie sheet in the warm oven and repeat with remaining batter. Keep corn cakes warm.
- Combine tomatoes, basil, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper.
- Remove corn cake from oven. Top each with one slice of fresh mozzarella cheese and tomato mixture.
- Serve immediately.