We still have corn…….yeah!
The season for us corn is short, so we have to make the most of it…….you know ‘make hay while the sun shines’
Caprese Corn Cakes are little sun-shiny cakes of corn. Plus they use another short season favorite, fresh homegrown tomatoes.
OK, not from my home this year…..no garden……you can’t see it, but I have a sad face…..maybe next year.
But, Farmers Markets, and our neighbor, who has his own mini market, make it possible to have the bounty of summer without all the work………then again maybe I’ll rethink that garden idea…….
I was thinking corn fritters…….a lot of oil and a mess with the deep fryer. Maybe not…….Pinterest to the rescue. Lot of recipes for corn cakes, most of the Mexican flare, but I was feeling Italian ……..ooooooh caprese………..I have tomatoes.
And luck be with me, I have fresh mozzarella too. Game on!
The corn cakes are from some of the super sweet corn we are lucky enough to be able to get from Selmi’s. They are a local family who has made a tradition of having the best sweet corn……ever! Cut off the cob, then mixed with flour, corn meal, a touch of sugar for sweetness, eggs, buttermilk, and basil.
A quick fry….using just a small amount of oil. I kept them warm in the oven as I cooked the other cakes and while I made the topping. Speaking of which…..
Corn and tomatoes are a match made in heaven……like Tim and I. Add a little basil…….its the perfect marriage ……..like Tim and I. Ok I’ll stop.
The warm corn cakes make the perfect palette for fresh mozzarella cheese and tomatoes. Jazzed up tomatoes, just a touch of olive oil, basil, and balsamic vinegar, I chose white balsamic, as it doesn’t add such a dark color to the food. Salt and pepper to taste.
So, it stacks up like this…..warm sweet corn cakes, sliced fresh mozzarella cheese, topped with the jazzed up tomatoes.
The warm cakes give just the right amount of ooze to the cheese, and the tomato topping…..perfect taste with the corn.
Head on out to your favorite Farmers Market and find some sweet corn and tomatoes and get your Caprese on!!!Print
- For Corn Cakes:
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- For Topping
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped, and seeded
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 slices of fresh mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 300ºF.
- Place corn to a large bowl. Add flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, basil,salt and pepper to taste. Add eggs and buttermilk and stir until just incorporated.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Add about 1 tablespoon oil.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop batter into heated skillet. Flatten each scoop. Cook 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a cookie sheet in the warm oven and repeat with remaining batter. Keep corn cakes warm.
- Combine tomatoes, basil, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper.
- Remove corn cake from oven. Top each with one slice of fresh mozzarella cheese and tomato mixture.
- Serve immediately.