- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- Salt and Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup seasoned flour ( you can buy this by the regular flour)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed into tablespoon pieces
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1–14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes drained
- 2 tablespoons hot Hungarian paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- Chopped parsley for garnish.
- Preheat the oven to 425*. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dredge in seasoned flour. In a cast iron or deep ovenproof skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in the coconut oil. Add the chicken and cook over high heat, turning once, until browned on both sides, 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic to the skillet and cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 minutes. Return the chicken to the skillet. Stir in the paprika and caraway and cook for 30 seconds.Add diced tomatoes. In a measuring cup whisk remaining 2 cups of chicken stock and 1/2 cup of sour cream until smooth. Add the thyme and bring to a boil.
- In a food processor, pulse the 1 1/2 cups of flour with the baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Add remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Pour buttermilk over the dry ingredients and pulse until a dough forms.
- Scoop 3-tablespoon-size mounds of biscuit dough over the chicken. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for about 20 minutes until the biscuit are golden brown. If need be, turn on the broiler and broil for about 2 minutes, to brown the biscuits. Serve by placing chicken thighs into individual bowls, spooning the biscuits on top. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.