- 8–10 ears fresh sweet yellow corn, cut from cob
- 6 slices applewood smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 1/2 large red pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound gold potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 – 3 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion, green part only
- Add bacon, onion, and red pepper to a large stock pot and cook, stirring frequently, until onion has softened and bacon begins to brown around edges, about 8 – 10 minutes. Add in the flour and garlic and cook 1 1/2 minutes. Slowly add chicken stock whisking constantly bringing mixture to a boil. Stir in corn kernels and potatoes. Add in thyme and bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste. Return to boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf. Place 2 1/2 cups of the chowder into a blender and blend until smooth. Stir blended mixture back into the pot. Add half and half and honey.
- To serve, place chowder in serving bowl and garnish with green onion and cheese if desired.