- 8 to 10 tomatoes, halved
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 small onions, quartered
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut in half
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ⅓ cup sliced fresh basil
- fresh basil leaves for garnish, optional
- In a large ziploc plastic bag, combine halved tomatoes, garlic, onions, carrots, olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Turn bag coating all the contents.
- Spread tomato mixture on a large baking sheet.
- Roast for 30 minutes, or until tender. and starting to caramelize.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Transfer roasted tomato mixture to a blender and add sliced basil.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a soup pot, along with chicken broth, brown sugar and red pepper flakes and cook over medium-high heat until heated through.
- Remove from heat and stir in greek yogurt.
- Serve with basil leaf garnish if desired.