- 1 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 – 32 ounce container chicken stock
- 1 –14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 – 14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes in tomato sauce
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 3/4 tsp dried basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 uncooked lasagna noodles, broken into pieces
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onion and sauté until sausage is browned and onions begin to soften. Stir in garlic and sauté 30 seconds more. Add in chicken stock, both tomatoes, tomato paste, seasonings and salt and pepper to taste. Bring just to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Prepare lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- Stir cooked pasta to soup.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together mozzarella, parmesan and ricotta.
- To serve ladle soup into bowls. Place a dollop of the cheese mixture on top of soup and broil until melted and lightly browned.
- Garnish with parsley if desired.