Fall = cooler temps = soup = Sausage Lasagna Soup.
With the time change and the cooler weather its soup time!! It’s gotta be easy and it’s gotta be yummy!
Lasagna is an Italian fav, I mean who doesn’t like lasagna? Full of tomatoes and cheese, with pasta, and cheese, and herbs, and did I say cheese.
It looked delicious. I tweaked it with Italian sausage, and added red pepper flakes for a bit of spice. I changed up the tomatoes, and used stock instead of broth. But the star of this dish is the cheese topping.
After tasting the soup, I just didn’t get the lasagna taste? I was pretty sure it would be a nice Italian style soup, but I wasn’t going to use it for What the “Forks” for Dinner?
Then I added the topping, put it under the broiler………ta da!!!!!!! Now we have a lasagna soup!! The cheese mixture brought the soup together and made it Lasagna.
Add a nice tossed salad and breadstick or garlic bread……..Sausage Lasagna Soup…..it’s What the “Forks” for Dinner!!!!!Print
- 1 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 – 32 ounce container chicken stock
- 1 -14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 – 14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes in tomato sauce
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 3/4 tsp dried basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 uncooked lasagna noodles, broken into pieces
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onion and sauté until sausage is browned and onions begin to soften. Stir in garlic and sauté 30 seconds more. Add in chicken stock, both tomatoes, tomato paste, seasonings and salt and pepper to taste. Bring just to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Prepare lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- Stir cooked pasta to soup.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together mozzarella, parmesan and ricotta.
- To serve ladle soup into bowls. Place a dollop of the cheese mixture on top of soup and broil until melted and lightly browned.
- Garnish with parsley if desired.