- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 pound unpeeled medium shrimp
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash hot sauce
- 1 –16 ounce bag diced butternut squash
- 1 –16 ounce bag cabbage, cole slaw mix
- 2 baking potatoes,cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 4 ears of corn, cut in fourths
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas
- In a large stock pot, heat the oil over moderate heat. Cook the shrimp stirring frequently. Season with 1 teaspoon of the salt and cooking, until the shrimp are pink and opaque, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Peel shrimp when they are cool enough to handle and set aside.
- Add the onion, cayenne, paprika, cumin, and another teaspoon of the salt to the stock pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the dash of hot sauce, squash, cabbage, potatoes, corn, and stock to the pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the peeled shrimp, the remaining teaspoon of salt, and the peas, if using. Cook until the shrimp are just heated through, about 2 minutes.