Thanksgiving……..Turkey and all the trimmings…….. all in one beautiful crispy-skinned, juicy, herby, roll. Thanksgiving Turkey Roll.
Seriously, this has all the trimmings nestled inside a beautiful juicy turkey breast. Stuffing, mashed potatoes, and cranberry sauce……….Its a slice of Thanksgiving.
Best of all, it can be prepared the day before so you can spend more time with your friends or family. Plus it only takes about an hour to cook.
I loved the idea of everything all in one. You just mush it up on your plate anyway, so a tidy little slice of all thats good about the meal…..perfect.
The hardest part is butterflying the turkey breast and pounding it out. I have this tiny little meat mallet, so it took awhile, but it is a great stress buster!
If you are a novice cook, this maybe a way to ease into a nice turkey dinner without going whole bird!
All the ingredients can either be homemade or purchased. A packaged stuffing mix, ready made mashed potatoes, and canned cranberry sauce can ease the stress of making that perfect meal.
But if wish, make your own stuffing, mashed potatoes , and cranberry sauce. I did a mixture, I made my stuffing and potatoes, but bought canned cranberry sauce and turkey gravy…….I know… cheater!
I did add pan drippings to the purchased gravy, so it really tasted homemade.
Once you have your turkey pounded and are stress free, just layer the ingredients, roll the bird up, and roast. Or at this point you can cover with plastic wrap and have your turkey dinner ready for the next day.
As I said before, in about an hour you can have a whole turkey dinner in a slice…top with gravy……and gobble it all up!!!!Print
- 2- 2 pound turkey breast halves, boneless , with skin
- 1 loaf sandwich bread, torn into small chunks
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh poultry herbs (sage, thyme, rosemary, parsley), divided
- 1 egg
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 cup cooked mashed potatoes (homemade or purchased)
- 1/2 cup cranberry sauce ( homemade or canned – not jelly type)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 400*
- Carefully remove skin from each turkey breast and set aside.
- Butterfly each breast then place between two sheet of plastic wrap and pound to about 1/2 inch thickness.
- Make dressing by placing bread pieces, onion, celery, 1 tablespoon herb mix, egg and half & half in a large bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Place a butterflied turkey breasts in front of you; sprinkle on a pinch or two of salt and pepper. Place 1/2 cup stuffing onto the breast meat leaving a little border, top with 1/2 cup mashed potatoes, then 1/4 cup cranberry sauce. Begin rolling the breast upwards, carefully, until rolled don’t worry if there are little rips or tears you’ll be able to hide those once the skin is added).
- Lay the roll seam side down in a 13 X 9 inch baking pan.
- Carefully cover the roll with reserved skin, by gently stretching and smoothing the skin over it to wrap as much of the roll as possible.Repeat the process of stuffing, rolling and tying process with the other breast.
- Rub each roll with 1 tablespoon of softened butter and sprinkle with remaining herbs.
- Place in preheat oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the internal temperature reaches 160*
- Once roasted, allow the rolls to rest lightly covered with foil for about 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with turkey gravy. There will be enough dripping in the pan to make your own or you may purchase gravy.
- Slice and serve.