It’s been awhile since we have made a burger. So we went south of the border! South of the Border Burgers …….
If you haven’t bought the little “street” tortillas that are available now, go immediately to your nearest grocery store and get some! Really……. I mean right now!!!!
First off, they are just to0 cute for words. Second, for some reason, and I don’t know why… they taste better? They are extra fluffy……did I mention how cute they are???
“Street” tortillas are also about the size of a hamburger bun…..now that’s an idea. A burger, on a tortilla bun. Cook them extra crisp, either in the oven….less calories, or fry them on top the stove in a skillet.
Ground beef spiced just a little with garlic, cumin, chili powder, and smoked paprika. Grill them your way.
I’m not a huge bean fan, but I do like pinto beans. Pinto beans are the pre-refried bean. I mashed them just a touch, leaving some of the beans whole. Pickled jalapeños are one of my new fav’s. They keep for a long time, so you aways have a spicy jalapeño on hand. A pinch more cumin and some salsa just to make the mixture a little smoother. Heat it in the microwave right before you assemble the burgers.
I made my own guacamole, but feel free to purchase it already made. My original plan was to use some cabbage/slaw on the burger, but when it came time to assemble the burgers……I had neglected to purchase said cabbage/slaw….duh!!
Improv to the rescue …..I shredded up spinach and it was perfect!!
South of the Border Burgers may require a fork and knife, or just go ahead and use your hands……messy but delicious!!!Print
- For the burger patties:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- For the sandwich:
- 1 can (15 oz.) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon prepared salsa
- 1 pickled jalapeño, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pre-made Guacamole, your own recipe or purchased
- 1½ cup shredded spinach
- 6 small (street style size) flour tortillas
- Preheat grill or grill pan to a medium high heat.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, mash the pinto beans lightly. Leave some of the beans whole. Add the salsa, pickled jalapeño and cumin. Combine and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all the burger ingredients except the avocado oil. Shape into burger patties and brush the with oil.
- Grill the burgers to desired doneness.
- Microwave the bean mixture until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Spray tortillas with non stick cooking spray and bake on a baking sheet in a 400* oven or fry in a skillet over medium high heat until crispy.
- To assemble the burgers, place the spinach on one tortilla, top with bean mixture, then a burger patty. Place a dollop of guacamole on top of the burger and place another tortilla on top forming the “bun”. Serve with additional salsa if desired.