Simple Roast Chicken
Roasted Chicken………just saying it sound delicious! So, for Date Night Dinner this week it’s a two-fer. You can easily get two meals out of this bird. Tim and I had the roast chicken with a wedge salad, it was wonderful. Then with the left overs I made a easy Chicken Risotto ( recipe to come in the near future).
I have been making my chicken this way for years. The first time I thought,WOW thats a lot of salt. I had it originally at a friends house and when I ask her to share the recipe she said it really wasn’t a recipe, but more of a method. Well I have returned it into a recipe……… otherwise how could I share it with you.
When you are making the chicken, the key things to remember are 1. Use the full tablespoon of salt. Kinda let it rain down over the bird covering it with the salt. 2.DO NOT add any liquid. It will not be the same if you do. 3. Save the juice from the pan. You can use it to dip the bird in or save it to use in any kind of chicken dish with the left over chicken……..assuming there is any!
When my nephew was small he was at my house a lot………… and whenever I said I was making chicken for dinner he wanted to know if it was the chicken with the sauce. Also in my family the crispier the skin the better. And this skin is crispy, crispy, crispy……..
So enjoy a dinner for two ……..twice!!!Print
Simple Roast Chicken
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- One 2– to 3-pound chicken
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced thyme
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Rinse the chicken, then dry it very well with paper towels, inside and out.
- Salt and pepper the cavity, then tie the legs of the bird together. Tying the chicken helps it cook evenly, and it also makes for a more beautiful roasted bird.
- Now, salt the chicken— (1 tablespoon). I know it seems like a lot but it makes a nice uniform coating that will result in a crisp, salty, flavorful skin. Season to taste with pepper.
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan and roast for 50 -60 minutes or until internal temperature is 165*. While the chicken is roasting, leave it alone,don’t baste it, and do not add any liquid.Remove it from the oven and add the thyme to the pan. After it is out of the oven,baste the chicken with the juices and thyme and let it rest for 15 minutes on a cutting board. Reserve the juices that are in the bottom of the pan. You can use some to dip the chicken in ( the juices are beyond delicious) or you can save it to flavor a dish using any left over chicken.
- The preparation is meant to be rustic Serve with a simple green salad.
Keywords: chicken, salt, pepper, dinner, bake