So is the life of a blogger….ho-hum! You think you have a great original idea…….and BAM!!! There it is on Facebook, right before you are ready to share your great idea 🙁 So it is with Thanksgiving Eggs Rolls.
Everything was set, the turkey was cooked, the dressing made, and a plan was in motion. Taking a Facebook break and, one of my friends shared ……WHAT????? Thanksgiving Egg Rolls !!
How could that be???? The great folks at Delish had a video with what I thought was my perfect recipe. Funny thing was, it was almost exactly the same. I’m glad it wasn’t totally the same….whew!!
Using leftover turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and in my version, gravy…..Delish version cranberries sauce…..you can roll up some scrumptious egg rolls.
My version…..cranberry dipping sauce, Delish version….gravy to dip. I found the cranberry sauce showed through the egg roll wrapper (at least for me) and I didn’t care for the look.
Delish did not seem to have that problem. Guess that’s why they are the big dog and I’m still a little puppy……lol.
Imitation is the highest form of flattery, so I figured I would forge ahead. Come to find out after a Google search….something I neglected to do….duh! There are tons of recipes for them. Although in my defense I searched Pinterest and I did not use the term “Thanksgiving Egg Rolls”. I looked for turkey egg rolls….my bad.
The whole process is really easy and helps use those Thanksgiving, or anytime you have turkey leftovers. Egg roll wrappers are readily available at most grocery stores.
This little video on You Tube can give you some help if you need it. Click here.
I think any leftover will do, but with the turkey day key components, turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy and cranberry sauce you will have what the day is made of in a convenient little wrapper.
I did make a dipping sauce from the cranberry sauce by heating it with apple cider vinegar and sugar. Bringing it to a boil, and letting it reduce slightly, creates a sweet and sour sauce for dipping your Thanksgiving Egg Rolls.
Even though I was horribly disappointed that my “original” ideas was not so original, I am delighted with the results. Crispy on the outside with all of the Thanksgiving day tradition on the inside, and a tart and sweet sauce to dip into, Thanksgiving Eggs rolls are a sure winner!
- 6 Eggroll wrappers
- 1 cup turkey, leftover
- 1 cup mashed potatoes, leftover
- 1 cup stuffing, leftover
- ⅓ cup gravy, leftover
- avocado oil
- ½ cup cranberry sauce, leftover
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Make the cranberry dipping sauce by placing the leftover cranberry sauce, vinegar, and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, boil until the sugar is melted and the sauce thickens slightly, about 10 minutes. Set aside while you assemble the egg rolls.
- Place an egg roll wrapper one of the point towards you.Place a tablespoon of mashed potatoes, then stuffing, and then turkey, topping with 1 tablespoon of gravy. Fold up bottom half over filling, then fold in sides, gently rolling. Seal buy rubbing the edges of fold with a couple drops of water. Repeat with remaining wrappers.
- In a large skillet heat about 1 inch of oil over medium high heat. ( if you have a deep fryer or air fryer these will work as well) After oil is hot add egg rolls and fry until golden, 1-2 minutes per side. Drain paper towel-lined plate to cool slightly.
- Serve with cranberry sauce.