Bakery Style Salted Caramel Cookies, nuff said??? Hardly!!!! These cookies are the total bombdiggity!!
It’s Sunday football, a friends wife sends cookies. So you bite into said cookie and OMG!!! You ask about said cookies and discover a gem of a secret in the baking section. Sea Salt Caramel Chips!!!!
The folks at Hershey’s Kitchens have created these perfectly luscious chips for your baking pleasure.
The cookie recipe that is on the package is a chocolate cookie using the chips. Now while that is fine, and they were delicious, it seems to me that making a traditional chocolate chip cookie, and substituting the chocolate chips with the sea salt caramel chips would be……Perfection!
Then maybe a drizzle of melted caramel? And more sea salt? I think YES!
Sometimes a first attempt at something does not go as planned. Such was the case of the Bakery Style Salted Caramel Cookies. The first ones were flat as a pancake.
The flavor was spot on, but the visual…….yikes! Round two……I used some of my own baking tips for cookies:
- Do not over mix the dough, just mix enough for it to come together and stir the Sea Salt Caramel chips in by hand.
- Chill cookie dough so that’s it’s very cold.
- You can even put it in the freezer to chill even further.
Room temperature or warm dough will spread faster when baked.
- Do not put cookie dough on a warm cookie sheet. This will also make the cookies spread.
The second round ….much better! I cannot stress enough the cookie chill. It makes all the difference.
A nice drizzle of extra caramel and a touch more salt…….hmmmmmmm!!! These cookies did not last long. Perfectly baked salted caramel chip cookies, that are slightly crispy and chewy, with the perfect amount of sweet and salty.
Now for my little secret, shhhh, don’t tell……….I have purchased many bags of these sea salt caramel chips. I am worried that they will only be available during the holiday season. Hoarder……perhaps, but once you make Bakery Style Salted Caramel Cookies, you too will be keeping your own stash!Print
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 10 ounce package Hershey’s Sea Salt Caramel Chips
- 1-11 ounce bag Kraft Caramel bits
- Extra sea salt for garnish – I used Pink Himalayan
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheets with parchment paper 2
- In a medium bowl, mix dry ingredients – flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a stand alone mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or with a hand held mixer, cream together butter and granulated sugar and brown sugar. Add vanilla,then add eggs one at a time and mix, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
- With the mixer on low-speed, slowly add the bowl of dry ingredients and mix just until dough comes together.
- Mix in Sea Salt Caramel Chips. Place dough in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- Using a small ice cream scoop portion scoops of batter onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Baking time will depend on oven and how large or small you scoop your cookies. Let cool on baking sheet for a few minutes than transfer to cooling rack.
- Melt caramel bits using about half of the water on the package directions. You want to be able to drizzle, but not run all over. Garnish with salt.
The amount of cookies in the recipe depends on the size of cookie you make.