Com’n listen to a story ’bout a man named……Kenny…….oh wait, wrong show!
Chicken Kenny is a story linked to the Cosby Show……so, lets start the story…..
Tim, as I have mentioned before is an identical twin, and when he and Tom were small ,they had an Uncle who could not tell them apart so, he called them both “Bud”……… a nickname that has stuck for both of them to this day.
Tim worked at Moonlight Bay Marina when Cosby Show was very popular. Now, if you have seen the Cosby Show, you know that the character of Rudy had a little friend who she called “Bud”.
When you first meet “Bud”, Rudy brings him home to meet the family. Bud, has a heart to heart with Mr. Huxtable, who discovers that Bud’s name is really Kenny. Rudy continued to call him Bud to which he would reply……my names not Bud its Kenny!
In a way, this is one of those you had to be there stories, but one of our friends Carol started calling Tim Kenny instead of Bud. The phrase……my names not Bud its Kenny was heard frequently.
During this time Tim made a mustard dipping sauce at the Marina, and it became………wait for it…………Kenny Mustard.
I have hear this story many times, but until the other day Tim had never made me Kenny Mustard. My recipe, for what is now going to know as Chicken Kenny starts with the Kenny Mustard. I used it as the binder for the crust for my Chicken Kenny.
I wanted to try and cut the calories in a chicken strip recipe by baking and not frying. I wanted it to have a crunchy crust……..pretzels…….they go with mustard………Kenny Mustard………Chicken Kenny!!!
It was super easy too……..just coat the chicken strips with the mustard and roll in crushed pretzels and bake. Easy peasy and they turned out AWESOME…………
Add them to your next Sunday football snack list, or make them for dinner. Kids will love them too!
Just be sure to save half the sauce for dipping!!Print
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- 2 cups crushed low-fat pretzels
- 1 recipe Kenny Mustard(see below)
- Kenny Mustard1/2 cup mayo or Miracle Whip
- 1/3 cup regular yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon tabasco or sriracha sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400*
- Crush pretzels in a ziploc bag with a mallet or rolling pin. Place on a plate. Prepare mustard sauce according to recipe reserving half for dipping.
- Dredge chicken strips in Kenny mustard and roll in crushed pretzels. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with reserved Kenny Mustard Dipping Sauce.
- Kenny MustardBlend all ingredients throughly. Use as a dipping sauce or a sandwich spread.
Keywords: pretzels, chicken tenders, mustard, bake
2 thoughts on “Chicken Kenny”
I’m sorry but I’m reading this and thinking “WHAT?!????!?” And THEN I’m re-reading and thinking “OMG!” and the DROOL is running down my chin! (Embarrassed!) I am SO going to make this! BLESS YOU for your geniuse!
Thank you I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Let us know……