Chocolate Espresso Bean Popsicle
Warm summer evenings…….you need something cool…….but you love coffee…….too hot for coffee……..think again! Chocolate Espresso Bean Popsicles are just the ticket.
The only popsicles I have ever made were the ones you made with Kool-Aide when you were a kid. Everyone had the Tupperware popsicle mold, and all we had to fill them was Kool-Aide or juice. Well, times they have a changed!
I have seen many recipes for popsicles on Pinterest, and thought I would give some a whirl. Tim and I love coffee! In the summer we make iced coffee by the pitcher full. We discovered that a french press makes perfect iced coffee. So why not make popsicles?
First I needed the molds. And if all else fails check eBay. With the molds purchased and on the way I needed a recipe.
I wanted a creamy sort of latte taste, so I needed some type of milk. I tried sweetened condensed milk, its sweet and creamy so I hoped it would work. I blended it with hot coffee and poured it into the mold. I also wanted some visual interest, so I mixed the condensed milk I didn’t use in with some cream. That’s how you make ice cream, so why not.
We like a little crunch in things so, chocolate covered espresso beans. Besides being chocolate and all kinds of yummy, they make them look really pretty!
I would never have tried the espresso beans, but years ago one of my girlfriends Michelle, owned a cafe, deli, bakery, coffee shop……..The Herb Garden Deli,Cafe and Bakery. It was a great place, and in the coffee shop, we had chocolate covered espresso beans……..I was leery. But I tried them and all I can say is they are addicting. So, thank you to Michelle for broadening my horizon, so I could years later make this recipe.
Layers of espresso beans, creamy latte, and creamy cream…….like foam on a cappuccino, but all frozen makes a sweet cool coffee treat. Perfect for those warm summer nights when you really want a coffee………Print
- 2 cups very strong coffee, hot
- 1 – 14oz. can sweetened condensed milk, divided
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup crushed chocolate covered espresso beans, divided
- Place 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk in a bowl or measuring pitcher. Pour the hot coffee over the top and stir until blended. Allow the coffee to cool for a few minutes.
- Place 1 teaspoon of crushed espresso beans into each popsicle mold, then carefully pour the coffee mixture into the molds, until about 2/3 full. Place in the freezer and freeze until slushy, about 1- 2 hours.
- Mix the heavy cream with 3 Tb. sweetened condensed milk and vanilla. Pull the Popsicle out of the freezer.
- Pour 1-2 tablespoons of cream over the top of each pop and top with another teaspoon of espresso beans, add a popsicle stick to the middle.
- Return to the freezer and freeze until hard.
- To remove from the molds: Fill the sink with warm water and dip the bottoms of the molds in the warm water for 30seconds or so. If the popsicles do not come out re-dip them.Be careful not to let them in the warm water to long or they will melt.
- Eat immediately, or wrap in plastic wrap and place in freezer bags and return to the freezer.
Prep time does not include overnight freezing.
Keywords: coffee, sweetened condensed milk, heavy cream chocolate covered espresso beans, popsicle