Oriental Shrimp Salad
The time has come for a return to salads! Don’t worry I still have lots of carb laden and sugar heavy recipes in reserve, but sometimes the body says enough is enough.
Tim and I were talking about salads and what we might put on one. We both love “Cuties” ………you know, the little Clementines….easy to peel, in the box or bag with the smiley little orange face…..so cuties had to be in the salad.
But what else, as Tim said we have chicken all the time in salads lets have something different, he suggested shrimp…..hmmmm.
Base of mixed greens….of course. At my local grocery store they have a mix called Power Greens……organic kale, spinach, arugula, green and red chard. I’m sure I am missing a few, but you get the idea. These types of greens are not only great for you, but hold up really well in a salad.
I went Oriental for the veggies, snow peas, red peppers, cucumber, water chestnuts, and green onions. Some toasted almonds for crunch, and a nice honey ginger dressing.
I marinaded the shrimp in a couple of tablespoons of the dressing, some green onions, and cilantro while I chopped the veggies……just to add a little extra flavor to the shrimp.
The rest of the ingredients were tossed together, the shrimp sat atop the Power Greens, veggie “Cutie” throne.
The taste was light and fresh…..just what we needed to lighten us up……..Print
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 lemon zest
- juice of fresh lemon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 Tbsp peeled and grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt, to taste
- 1–12 ounce package frozen cooked peeled shrimp thawed
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 10 ounces mixed greens
- 2 cups snow peas, sliced into halves
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts,drained
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup cucumber chunks
- 3 Cuties,(mandarin oranges) peeled and sectioned
- 4 green onions,sliced, divided
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped and divided
- For the dressing:
- Add all ingredients to a blender and pulse until well emulsified and ginger and garlic are finely minced. Store in an airtight container.
- For the salad:
- Toss shrimp with 2 tablespoons of dressing, half of the cilantro and green onions. Set aside while preparing the salad ingredients.
- Add all salad ingredients except remaining cilantro and green onions to a large salad bowl and toss. Top with marinated shrimp. Drizzle with dressing and gently toss. Garnish with remaining cilantro and green onions. Serve immediately.