Southern Style Sausage Gravy on Boyd’s Biscuits
So, as promised we updated the pictures from our original post (see below). The original pictures were so awful that we made the ultimate sacrifice and had Southern Style Sausage Gravy on Boyd’s Biscuits again tonight. We really wanted you to be able to see…….and salivate over how good this breakfast…….or dinner looks. So go ahead and make the recipe and see, taste and smell for yourself………..
Ok……..we learned a valuable lesson today……….over exposure! Since I posted to Facebook about making breakfast, we wanted to be sure to supply the recipes. Naturally we wanted some awesome photos to go alone with the recipes. FAIL!!!
But have no fear, the recipes are great. We love a nice hearty Sunday morning breakfast, like our Cinnamon Roll Pancakes with Brown Sugar Bacon. Biscuits and gravy are just the thing when its cold outside………which it still is here in Northern Illinois……even though the first of March is next week…….yes I’m still complaining.
So please enjoy the recipes and the next time we make the Southern Style Sausage Gravy with Boyd’s Biscuits we will take new pictures( with the lesson we learned) and post them.
Boy, this Food Blogging thing is always a learning experience……..thanks for your support, as we share our ups and downs 🙂
Buttermilk Biscuits with a Southern Style Sausage Gravy……
- For the Biscuits:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter, very cold, you can even use frozen
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons honey
- For the Gravy:
- 1 pound bulk country style sausage
- 2 slices applewood smoked bacon diced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk (2% or whole)
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- For the Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 400*
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Using a box grater, grate the butter into the flour mixture. Using your hands, work the butter into the flour mixture until mixture is like coarse sand. Add the buttermilk and honey and mix just until everything comes together. Turn the dough onto a very lightly floured surface. Knead the dough just a couple of time. Pat to a thickness of about 1/2 inch. Cut into desired shapes. Place biscuit on a lined cookie sheet ( I use my pizza stone) about 1 inch apart. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- For the Gravy:
- Heat a large skillet over medium. Fry bacon until starts to crisp, add the sausage and thyme breaking the sausage into chunks with a spatula. Cook until the meat is crumbled and browned all the way through. Add the flour and cook , for about 1 minute. Stir in the milk. Cook, stirring frequently, until the gravy is very thick and bubbly (you can add more milk later if you need to thin). Season with salt and of freshly ground black pepper to taste. Serve with hot biscuits.
Keywords: sausage, biscuits, breakfast