Dateline 2012 ……the death of the Twinkie……wha…wha….wha……..
How could we go on without the golden sponge cake with the creamy filling! I mean twinkles are almost as American as apple pie and baseball. They have been the snack in many a sack lunch…… forever!
Well, at least since they were invented in Muscatine, Iowa on April 6, 1930. Originally, they were banana crime filled, but a ration on bananas during WWII had the company switching to vanilla creme. The change was so popular, that other than for occasional special promotions, it was never switched back.
But, as we all changed to a healthier lifestyle…….well some of us….lol, the Hostess company fell on hard times, and filed bankruptcy, ending all the snack cakes and treats we have come to love. But wait…….some really smart folks brought back the Twinkie……..hallelujah!!!!
Now this enables me to copy-cat a recipe from Pinterest ……….Twinkie Pie!!!!!
You find anything and everything on Pinterest. In my searching I saw this recipe and knew I had to try it……..Very Culinary is where I copied the Twinkie Pie from……very glad I ran across it. It was super easy to make, and if you have kids it would be fun for them to help and all kids like Twinkies.
I was pretty sure Tim thought I was crazy when I said I had to try this Twinkie Pie. But, I think he is glad I did. It was our dessert last night…….topped with a dollop of cool whip………and it will be dessert again tonight………what time is it?????Print
- Ingredients :
- 1 box (10 count) of Twinkies
- 3 eggs
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 9-inch Pillsbury deep pie crust
- whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Unwrap all the twinkles; cut each one lengthwise in half and then horizontally so you have 6 pieces per Twinkie.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, butter, sugar, vanilla, and vinegar until well combined. Gently fold in the Twinkie pieces with a spatula. Mixture will be thick.
- Pour into the pie shell and bake for about 40 minutes; until set and the top is golden.
- Let cool, slice, and definitely serve with whipped cream!
Keywords: twinkle, eggs, pie, pie crust