I couldn’t resist one more recipe with corn. According to my friends at Selmi’s……the best place to get corn in Northern Illinois……..the season is over on Labor Day……today!!!!!
We had a few ears of corn left and I wanted to make Tim and I a snack. Confetti Corn Dip!
At one point in my life, I worked in a factory…….while this was not the job for me…..it was a learning experience. One thing I learned, there are a lot of women who can make some wonderful awesome food!!!
Pot Lucks and food were a constant at the factory. Someone was always bringing in food. One of the ladies I worked with, Beth, brought something called corn dip. This was where I wrinkled up my nose……corn with mayo?……..but, after I tried it ……I begged for the recipe and it has been a mainstay in my snack repertoire ever since!
The version that Beth made was canned Mexican corn with sour cream, mayo, and cheese, served with Fritos. It was addictive!!
So, I adapted the recipe to the make Confetti Corn Dip.
I used the fresh corn cut off the cob, you can use frozen also. I added tri-colored peppers, garlic, and a jalapeño for some heat,. I lightened up the amount of mayo…..Miracle Whip….no mayo at this house!
I used queso fresco, my new favorite cheese. Queso fresco is a firm-textured fresh white cheese (its name translates as “fresh cheese”) that is slightly salty, with a mild, tangy taste similar to farmer’s cheese. It’s lower in fat and sodium (despite its salty flavor) than aged cheeses. It’s crumbles easily to sprinkle on dishes and although it softens, it doesn’t melt when heated.
Cilantro, cumin and chili powder for spices. Green onions for color and flavor and a big squeeze of lime juice for acidity and more flavor…..plus, I love that fresh citrus smell.
Fritos Scoops…..the perfect vessel for Confetti Corn Dip.
Ay, ay, ay, ay! oh, I am dee Frito Bandito. I like Fritos corn chips, I love them, I do. I want Fritos corn chips. I’ll take them, from you. To use for my Confetti Corn Dip!!!!!!
- 2 slices applewood smoked bacon
- 5 cups corn, fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup each, red, green, and orange peppers
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons Miracle Whip
- 2 tablespoons crumbled queso fresco cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 green onions, chopped
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Juice of 1 lime
- Fritos for dipping
- In a large skillet over medium high heat cook bacon until just beginning to crisp. Add corn peppers, garlic and jalapeño. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through and slightly charred, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in miracle whip, queso fresco, cilantro, green onions, chili powder, cumin, and lime juice. Stir to combine.
- Serve with Fritos or chips or your choice.