Caprese Chicken Tender Sandwich
It’s time for lunch…..you want a sandwich. How about a Caprese Chicken Tender Sandwich? The Salad of Capri with all the color of the Italian flag. Not that I thought that when I was making this sandwich…..I was really thinking , what am I going to do with these chicken tenders ?????
Tim will attest to the fact that sometimes……ok all the time, when I am at the grocery store, my imagination overrides any realistic needs for groceries. If I see something that looks good……it doesn’t matter if I go to the store hungry or full……and I think it will work for a recipe, I buy it.
Sad but true story, I don’t always get all the recipes in my head, on to a plate before what I bought goes bad…..my bad! The chicken tenders were a case in point. What to do with them???? Salad? Pasta? OMG it’s lunch time……….Tim suggested a sandwich…….the wheel that is my mind started to turn.
As I looked around my kitchen, I spied some grape tomatoes that needed to be used, I had fresh basil, I love bruschetta………sandwich topping? Why not?
I know grilled chicken is better for you, but I wanted crunchy, crispy chicken. If you want something super crispy, dip it in Panko breadcrumbs, they make anything crispy crunchy delicious. Best part, it works when you fry something or bake it. I was lazy and didn’t want to take the time to bake, so I used coconut oil and fried away!
Basil mayo is perfect for any sandwich, but especially for the Caprese Chicken Tender Sandwich, since it was going the way of Italian. I was getting the Miracle Whip……not mayo…..use it if you must….. out of the frig when I noticed I had some fresh mozzarella balls. I had totally forgot about them.
See, I bought these little Ciliegine Mozzarella balls in individual packages. There are like 4 in a mini pack. The idea was that I would eat them for a snack……you know, instead of a cookie, or candy, or chips……..the whole damn package was still in there….lol. Anyway, I decided to use them on the sandwich…..they looked cute. Kinda messy to eat , so substitute sliced if you wish.
The combo of flavors in this sandwich was scrumptious…….chewy ciabatta roll, creamy basil mayo, crispy, crunchy chicken, fresh tomatoey topping, and creamy mozzarella cheese……Caprese Chicken Tender Sandwich may be our new fav………..it could be yours too!!!Print
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Bruschetta Topping
- 1 green onion minced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Basil Mayo
- 1/4 cup miracle whip
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- fresh mozzarella cheese, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with Italian seasoning
- mixed greens
- 2 ciabatta buns, toasted
- For Chicken:
- In three shallow bowls add the following; Bowl 1: 1/2 cup flour seasoned with 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Bowl 2: eggs beaten with 1 tablespoon water. Bowl 3: Panko breadcrumbs.
- In a large skillet heat coconut oil over medium high heat. Dip chicken tender as follows, first dip in seasoned flour, then in egg, then in panko crumbs. Place in skillet of hot oil and fry until golden brown and cooked through, adjusting heat if necessary. Remove to paper toweling and set aside.
- For Bruschetta topping:
- In a medium bowl add tomatoes, green onion, basil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside. DO NOT refrigerate.
- For Basil Mayo:
- Place miracle whip, basil and Italian seasoning in a small bowl and mix well.
- To assemble the sandwiches:
- Toast or grill ciabatta buns. Spread basil mayo on both top and bottom of bun. On the bottom bun place mixed greens (the amount is your choice).Place three to four chicken tender on top of mixed greens. Top with bruschetta mixture and fresh mozzarella cheese. I used mini mozzarella balls but sliced will work perfectly. Top with top of bun and serve.
You can easily double this recipe.