You like the flavor of Buffalo Wings?……….but you are a vegetarian…….Crunchy Buffalo Pierogies! Problem solved!!!!!
Meat free but packed with the flavor of buffalo and an added crunchiness.
I love hot wings. They scream football snack, but how about a shake up in the third quarter????? Listen to me acting like I know anything about football…….lol. I may not know football, but I know football snacks.
If you have never had pierogies, go to the freezer section and pick up a box. Mrs. T’s are the bomb! They come in different flavors and regular or mini………Pierogies are the best of two worlds ……potatoes and pasta.
Originating in Poland, traditionally considered peasant food, pierogi eventually gained popularity and spread throughout all social classes including nobles. No wonder they are awesome!!!
For this recipe, I chose a four cheese medley, but feel free and choose any flavor you like. Do no thaw them for the recipe…..they are much easier to work with frozen.
For the sauce, I did chose a milder version of hot sauce. Frank’s Red Hot Rajili Sweet Ginger Sauce. I liked that it was not overpowering and the ginger added a nice little something……..mixed with butter and chili powered, it was time to dip.
I placed the panko crumbs in shallow dish and dunked away, placing the pierogies on a well sprayed cookie sheet. Popped them into a 400* oven and set about making the dip.
Blue cheese, buffalo sauce, and celery sticks…….it just has to be. Blue cheese is not everyones cup of cheese, but it is the perfect accompaniment for these crunchy critters.
Sour cream, a touch of mayo, blue cheese, garlic, and a bit of celery seed……..tasty dippy blue cheese!!!!
I baked mine a little longer than the time I have in the recipe……..I love the extra crunch. I’m the gal who orders her french fries well done!!
Once the Crunchy Buffalo Pierogies are out of the oven……pile them high in a basket next to the that tasty dippy blue cheese and celery sticks and let the snacking and games begin!!!!
- 1 – 12.84 ounce package mini pierogies
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/3 cup hot sauce, I used Frank’s Redhot Rajili Sweet Ginger Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- Blue Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- splash lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400*
- Combine melted butter, hot sauce, and chili powder in a large bowl and mix well.
- Place panko crumbs in a shallow container.
- Spray a large cookie sheet with non stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Toss pierogies in hot sauce mixture, then dip in panko crumbs.
- Place dipped and coated pierogies on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 – 25 minutes or until desired crispiness.
- Serve with Blue Cheese Dip and celery sticks.
- Blue Cheese Sauce
- Mix all ingredients throughly.