Looking for a yummy appetizer……. Pretzel Cheesy Ham Wheels are just the ticket!
One of my favorite recipes from What the “Forks” for Dinner? is the Auntie Anne’s Pretzel Copycat Recipe. I have used the pretzel dough for pizza, hamburger buns, and of course pretzels.
But, as the Holiday’s are fast approaching ………OMG Christmas is Friday!!!! Food for family and friends is of the essence.
Why be boring with regular Ham & Cheese Sandwiches…..shake it up and use pretzel dough.
Everyone gets that deer in the headlight look when you say ‘homemade dough’, but
Auntie Anne’s Pretzel Copycat Recipe, is one of the easiest doughs to make. If you have a Kitchen Aide mixer…….. my preference, a bread machine that can make dough with almost no effort, or if you are traditional and knead by hand, the dough comes together in under 20 minutes and rest time is an hour……no second rise is needed.
I only used half of the Auntie Anne’s Pretzel Copycat Recipe for this recipe. I used the remaining dough and made pretzel nuggets, but use the other half for whatever your little heart desires.
I rolled the dough into about a 12X18 inch rectangle. I trimmed mine to be a semi-perfect rectangle……I’m funny like that, but it makes rolling much easier if the dough is uniform.
Then its a matter of layers…ham first, then swiss cheese, and a sprinkle of caraway seeds. When purchasing the ham and cheese, have the deli slice them as thin as possible without having it shaved.
Once all the ingredients are layered, roll the dough starting on a long edge, roll as tightly as possible. Place the roll seam side down on a cutting board……..I rolled mine on my cutting board, as it is about the size of the rectangle I wanted. Slice the roll into 12 slices. Place each on a prepared cookie sheet and using an egg wash, brush each roll.
I was worried that they would not stay together while baking, so I used toothpicks to make sure the seam stayed together. Remember to remove the toothpicks! Having someone choke on one would really ruin the Holiday!
Ham and Cheese needs mustard……..Honey Mustard Sauce… sweet and tangy…is the perfect dip for the Pretzel Cheesy Ham Wheels.
For your Holiday party, or a Sunday afternoon football game party try Pretzel Ham & Cheese Wheels…….they’re sure to be a hit!!Print
- 1/2 recipe Auntie Annes Pretzels
- 1/2 pound deli ham , thinly sliced
- 16 slices Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 1/4 cup Miracle Whip ( mayo if you must)
- 1/8 tsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp White Balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the pretzel dough into about a 12×18-inch rectangle. Layer with ham slices, top with cheese slices and sprinkle with caraway seeds.
- Starting on the longer side of the rectangle, roll up tightly. Place seam is face down. Cut into 12 equal slices.
- Place on lined cookie sheet. Whisk egg and water to make an egg wash. Brush wheels with egg wash.
- I used toothpick to ensure the wheels would not unroll during baking. Be sure to remove picks before serving.
- Place wheels in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- While wheels are baking make Honey Mustard Sauce by whisking dijon mustard, honey, Miracle Whip, paprika, and white balsamic vinegar until well blended. Set aside.
- Remove wheels from oven and allow to cool slightly, and don’t forget to remove the toothpick if using.
- Serve Pretzel Ham & Cheese Wheels with Honey Mustard Sauce.