Some food fads never lose their steam, sliders are one of those fads. Sweet Spicy BBQ Meatball Sliders are my contribution to the slider game!
We originally made these for a card party we had with friends over Christmas. Tim and I love to play cards and we have a rotating game with our dear friends Tim, Kari, and their daughter Tori. The host provides the food and it was our turn.
We like to prepare finger foods, so its easy to serve and eat. Entertaining is something that although I don’t do it often, I love to do it…..feeding people is my thing!!!
As usual I went overboard. The original plan was to do a simple couple of finger foods…ya, that happened……lol.
Sweet Spicy BBQ Meatball Sliders were the star of the show and I ran from there. Chips sounded like the perfect paring to the sliders…..Crunchy Double Cheese Chips…crunchy salty, cheesy.
Several other items made their way to the table, Kari and Tori brought dishes also. We did not go hungry!! I’m hoping Tori will share her corn dip recipe with me as it was delicious, and I would love to share it with you!
Maybe I should have called these name brand sliders. I’m dropping brand names all over the place, and I am not affiliated with these but, they are great products.
King’s Hawaiian Sweet Rolls made a perfect base for sliders. They are the right size, and the taste is perfection.
Making meatballs is a task, and finding a good frozen meatballs was a blessing. Cooked Perfect Meatballs are in the grocers freezer and the Augus beef flavor is delicious.
Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce is one of my favorites, and the sweet and spicy flavor satisfies my love of sweet and Tim’s love of spicy……don’t tell Tim, but I have grown to love the spicy…shhh!
French’s Fried Onions now come in a variety of flavors and add a welcome crunch to many a dish. I had some left over and decided to try them. Very glad I did, the caramelized onion flavor is great!!
Most of all prep on this recipe is super easy…slice the buns, placing the bottom half in a baking dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Warm the meatballs in the bbq sauce. Place warmed meatballs on the bun bottom, one per roll. A little more bbq over the meatballs, sprinkle with fried onions, and put the cheese on top. Place the top buns on top. Cover with foil and bake.
Remove the foil, brush with butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired. I found these really cool black sesame seeds at a farmers market….I love the way they look!
While pickles were an after-thought, every dish, for the most part, needs some green, since these sliders kind of reminded me of a bbq burger, I thought pickle would be a nice touch….and its green 🙂
Playoff games, Super Bowl parties, or your next card game, give Sweet Spicy BBQ Meatball Sliders a try!Print
- 1–12 pack Kings Hawaiian Dinner Rolls
- 1–18 ounce bag Cooked Perfect Angus Beef Meatballs (freezer section)( you will only use 12 meatballs)
- 1–18 ounce bottle Sweet Baby Ray’s Sweet & Spicy BBQ sauce
- 6 slices smoked Provolone Cheese
- 1/2 cup French’s Caramelized Crispy Fried Onions
- 3 tablespoons melted Butter
- Sesame seeds – if desired
- 12 mini pickles for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice the dinner rolls in half horizontally. Place the bottom half of the rolls in a 12 X 8 inch casserole dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large sauce pan, place 12 meatballs(reserve the remainder for another use) and cover with 2 cups of the Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce.
- Cook the meatballs over medium heat for 10 – 15 minutes or until the meatballs are heated through.
- Place one meatball on each slider bun. Spoon the remaining sauce over the meatballs dividing equally over them.
- Sprinkle the fried onions over the meatballs.
- Cover the meatballs with the smoked provolone cheese.
- Place the top buns over the meatballs.
- Cover the meatballs with foil and place in preheated oven to bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and brush sliders with the melted butter, and sprinkle with sesame seeds. (I used black sesame seeds, but regular sesame seeds will work fine or leave them off entirely if you chose).
- Place the sliders back into the oven uncovered for another 10 minutes.
- To serve place small pickle on top securing with wooden picks.