Asparagus Sticks with Horseradish Mustard Dip
It’s asparagus season, as I eluded to when I made the Grilled Asparagus Goat Cheese Sandwich a week or so ago.
Asparagus waits for no man…….when it is ready you need to be also!
Asparagus Sticks with Horseradish Mustard Dip can aide you in using your bounty……even if you buy your bounty.
I know deep-fried is a word that brings terror to those who are on a perpetual diet, but come on ….live a little. It won’t kill you once in a while, and I swear these are so good you won’t care about a little bit of fat. Besides you aren’t going to eat them everyday……..I don’t think????
In Tim’s line of work he is in and out of restaurants all day. Our friend Victor, from Breakers Saloon and Eatery in Oregon, Illinois ….stop in and say Hi !if you are in the area…….awesome food and great people, was telling Tim about a new appetizer on his menu…..deep fried asparagus. When Tim told me about it the wheels started turning like they do when I start thinking about a food idea.
When we first started the blog we made a recipe called Poor Mans Lobster. If you have not tried this I highly encourage you to do so. It is a memory making recipe. So, I was thinking maybe the batter for the fish would work with the asparagus.
SCORE!!!!! It’s perfect. The batter is made with tomato puree and that light tomato taste along with the spice from white pepper, salt, and garlic powder……perfect batter for asparagus. Just dip and drop……
We deep fried in peanut oil…..it can stand heat, for just a few minutes until golden perfection.
A trick I learned a long time ago, drain fried foods on brown paper sacks….far better than paper towels.
Deep fried ?????? needs a dip. No matter what is deep fried it begs for dip. I love horseradish, I love mustard, I found horseradish mustard!!!!!!! Mix with Miracle Whip (or mayo for you ingrates who like that….lol). Just the right dip for this tender,crispy, scrum-delicious asparagus.
I normally never put a recipe on the day we make it let alone with in the hour…….yeah it’s that good!!!
So, for a special treat( dietfobes) try Asparagus Sticks with Horseradish Mustard Dip…….it will make your day!!!
- ¾ cups Fry Krisp
- ½ cup tomato puree
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup water
- ½ pound asparagus spears
- Peanut oil for frying
- ½ cup miracle whip
- 1 tablespoon horseradish mustard (if you can not find horseradish mustard substitute with 2 teaspoons dijon mustard and 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish)
- In a large bowl whisk together fry krisp, tomato puree, white pepper, garlic powder, salt, and egg until well blended. Thin with water. Batter should be the consistency of melted ice cream.
- Cut asparagus into equal length pieces.
- Heat peanut oil in fryer to 350* (If you do not have a fryer you can heat oil in a large saucepan)
- Dip pieces of asparagus in the prepared batter shaking off any excess. Gently place in fryer and cooking for about 4 minutes. Remove form oil to a paper towel to drain.
- Serve immediately Horseradish Mustard Dip.
- Dip: Mix all ingredients well.