Imagine the best of both worlds, Mexican and Asian cuisine……..imagine no more!
Chicken Teriyaki Burritos with Spicy Peanut Sauce………a combo made in ethnic food heaven.
Mexican, Chinese, spicy, chicken, crunchy, cheesy, all wrapped in a flour tortilla for a taste that comes together and is just plain yummy!
I tweaked a recipe I found on allrecipes.com quite some time ago. If you ever need to find a recipe, hit up this site…..anything you need is there. I have used it for years to find old, what I thought were lost recipes, and to search for new recipes.
The original recipe used ground turkey…….it’ ok, but I like ground chicken much better……I just think it has a better flavor. I also added ginger. Asian cooking needs ginger……just this bloggers opinion.
Aromatic, pungent and spicy, ginger adds a special flavor and zest to Asian cooking…..so, I added it. I love the way it smells cooking combined with garlic……ahhhhh!
Pre-packaged broccoli slaw mix is a quick and easy way to add crunch. Cole slaw mix would also work, but I like the broccoli.
The teriyaki sauce…..the thick glazey kind, not the thin like soy sauce kind, along with the cheese, makes a creamy flavorful filling.
All rolled into a flour tortilla, covered in foil and baked. In the past, this is where I stopped and they are great. How do you add more greatness……sauce of course!
Bathed in Spicy Peanut Sauce and garnished with green onions and sesame seeds……..the Chicken Teriyaki Burritos were taken to the next lip-smacking level.
Chicken Teriyaki Burritos with Spicy Peanut Sauce are easy to make…..they can be made ahead, for a quick weeknight supper. And they reheat beautifully for a next day lunch or snack. Tim and I did both of these…….
Add this recipe to the ethnic section of your recipe box, you will go back to it again and again!!!
- 12 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 medium onion,chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 package (10 ounces) broccoli coleslaw mix
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- ⅓ cup teriyaki sauce (thick glaze type)
- ½ teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 recipe Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Green Onions, sliced and toasted sesame seeds for garnish.
- In a large skillet, cook the ground chicken, onion, ginger and garlic over medium heat until chicken is no longer pink. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, stir-fry broccoli in oil for 2 minutes. Add the teriyaki sauce, five-spice powder, garlic powder and pepper; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in cheese and chicken mixture; heat through.
- Spoon about ½ cup filling off center on each tortilla. Fold burrito style . Place seam side down in a13-in. x 9-in. baking dish sprayed with non stick cooking spray.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until heated through. Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes if you prefer crisper crust to your burrito.
- To serve place 2 burritos on plate. Ladle peanut sauce over burrito and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
- ¾ cup smooth peanut butter
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Asian dark sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a medium saucepan combine all ingredients and whisk until combined. Cook over medium high heat for about 10 minutes, until slightly thickened. Serve.
- * if the sauce is too thick add chicken broth until desired consistency is reached