Grilled Asparagus Goat Cheese Sandwich
We grow asparagus ……….we are asparagus farmers…..lol. Ok, really we have a 6’ X 4’ asparagus patch…….that we have a ready got a nice bunch of asparagus from already this year.
We used last years crop for Creamy Asparagus Soup, which was super yummy!! You should really try it.
Right after you try the Grilled Asparagus Goat Cheese Sandwich! This is the bomb…….I kid thee not!
Toasty baguette, slathered with soft creamy goat cheese and topped with grilled asparagus, a dijon dressed mesclun salad, and buttery smooth avocado.
Asparagus is great no matter what, but grilling or roasting really brings out the best flavor. Just a little spray of oil, salt and pepper. No need for any extravagant flavors…….the taste speaks for itself.
But, other tastes complement it. Goat cheese……..hell yea! The first time I heard “goat cheese” I thought yuck…..sounds awful. So glad I was wrong. Its slightly tangy and creamy…..like ramped up cream cheese. It is prefect for the Grilled Asparagus Goat Cheese Sandwich.
Dijon mustard is another taste I like with asparagus. It’s made with mustard seeds ,vinegar, and white wine. It is creamy and a little spicy, and made for sandwiches and salad dressings. Which is what I did with it…..dressed a salad and put it on a sandwich. I know ……I’m quite the innovator.
Ahhh the avocado ………..I have truly been having a love affair with them……shhh don’t tell Tim;) I have eaten my weight in avocado toast in the last couple of month……thats no small thing! Tim is not a big avocado fan but he said it was really good on this sandwich……..so it must be really good!!!
This sandwich comes together in a flash, so it’s great when you are short on time. It’s vegetarian-ish…..not sure about the goat cheese??? But it is meatless. All of the ingredients have healthy benefits and if you put it on a wheat baguette, you might just say its a good for you sammy!
No matter…….the Grilled Asparagus Goat Cheese Sandwich is What the “Forks” for Dinner?
- 1 pound asparagus
- Coconut oil spray
- 1 cup lightly packed mesclun or mixed greens
- ¼ cup lightly packed mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted and thinly sliced
- 2 small baguettes, cut in half lengthwise
- Spray a grill pan( you can grill outdoors if desired) with coconut oil spray. Spray asparagus with coconut spray to coat. Heat grill pan over medium high heat until hot. Grill asparagus until tender crisp and starting to get grill marks. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl toss the mesclun and mint
- In a small bowl or blender cup, place mustard, lemon juice, olive oil, honey, parsley, and garlic. Blend until emulsified. Pour over mesclun mix and toss lightly.
- On the same grill pan you used for the asparagus, spray baguettes with coconut oil spray and grill until lightly browned.
- To assemble the sandwiches, divide the goat cheese between the two baguettes, spreading goat cheese over the bottom slices. Place asparagus on top the goat cheese. Divide the mesclun mixture between the baguettes mounding atop the asparagus. Place avocado slice over mesclun. Place top on baguette and enjoy!