Mexican Meatless Stuffed Peppers
This is a special recipe for Melissa at Grubsteakers. Tim cleans the beer lines at Grubsteakers in Rochelle and Melissa is a waitress there, so he sees her every two weeks. She always has a cup of coffee for Tim and is a friend of What the “Forks” for Dinner? So when she requested a meatless stuffed pepper we were happy to oblige.
I wanted to do something a little less traditional so, opted for a Mexican flavor since Tim and I love Mexican food. I didn’t want to stray to far from the traditional, so kept the rice, using a gluten free rice for my gluten intolerant friends. Black beans, corn, tomatoes, onion, garlic, with cumin, and chili powder give the rice that Mexican flavor I was looking for and the cheese adds a creaminess, and well………its cheese, whats not to like.
I hope that Melissa likes these Mexican Meatless Stuffed Peppers as much we did, and we hope you do too!!
- 2½ cups cooked gluten free brown rice
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons coconut or olive oil
- 1 - 12 ounce bag Mexican mix veggies(Zesty Corn & Black Bean Blend)
- 1 - 14.5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- ¾ cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder, or more to taste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 bell peppers, tops cut, stemmed and seeded, reserving tops
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13 X 9 inch baking pan with non stick
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium high heat. Add onions and sauté until
- translucent. Add garlic, Mexican veggie mix, tomatoes, cilantro, cumin, chili
- powder, salt & pepper, cook until heated through. Mix in cooked rice and
- Spoon the filling into each each bell pepper cavity. Place on prepared baking
- dish, cavity side up, place reserved tops over filling and bake until the
- peppers are tender and the filling is heated through, about 25-30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.