Red Pepper Jam
You know that panicy feeling when someone stops by unexpectedly during the holidays………you bolt to the kitchen to see what you can pull together in a hillbilly hurry. Well, never fear I got the thing right here……Red Pepper Jam.
I know everyone is aware of a company called Tastefully Simple. They have really great products…….delicious foods and gifts for every day and every occasion. I have, in the past purchased a product called Sweet Pepper Jalapeño Jam, a friend had a party and it was one of the samples and I loved it. They just poured it over cream cheese and served it with crackers and ooh la la appetizer. So, I figured I could make something similar….and I did.
It’s fairly easy to make, the hardest part and it’s not really hard…..more time consuming is the cooking time. It needs to reduce and that takes about 45 minutes. But it has a beautiful upside…….it will keep in the frig for a month…..yes siree……… a whole month!
Make it just before Thanksgiving and it will help you sail right through the holidays for all those moments when you need to fix something in a hurry.
Keep a package of cream cheese in the frig and when company comes a calling, put the cream cheese on a nice plate, pour over your secret weapon ……..Red Pepper Jam…….and serve with crackers, or my personal favorite…….. pita chips. As you can see, I have a really cute plate that my Elementary staff gave me last year for a Christmas gift………Snowman whose mittens and boots that are little serving spreaders…….it soooo cute! Thank you ladies!!!!
You can also use the Red Pepper Jam as a condiment on sandwiches or burgers, as a glaze for vegetables or meat, or as a dip. It’s sweet and spicy and damn delicious!!!
- 2 red bell peppers, finely chopped (about 2½ cups)
- 1 -28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño seeded and finely minced
- ¼ cup cooking sherry
- ¼ cup white balsamic vinegar
- ½ c granulated white sugar
- ½ c brown sugar
- juice of freshly squeezed lemon
- ⅛ -1/4 t red pepper flakes
- ⅛ t kosher salt
- ⅛ t ground black pepper
- Place all ingredients in a large deep skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce to an simmer and cook until thick and syrupy (about 45 minutes).
- The jam will thicken as it cools. Will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.