Memorial Day…..the official start to summer……..and it’s usually cool and almost always rainy. But that will not stop the festivities of the long weekend with its BBQ’s, picnics, and camping.
It didn’t stop me from making Baby Red Potato Salad. I have been making my potato salad this way for years and never wrote the recipe down……until today. Over the years it has been tweaked numerous times……I think I have it down pat!
For potato salad, I like baby red potatoes. I think they have the right texture and leaving the skin on adds a nice color. Tip for boiling the potatoes: cube them first, they cook faster, and are easier to cool down after cooking. Don’t over cook them though, they will turn to mashed potato salad and you really want the cubes….trust me!
Celery is traditional in most potato salads and in mine too. Instead of regular onions I like the milder flavor and color of green onions. Hard cooked eggs are a must…….at least in my world.
The frozen peas are something I added later in the evolution of my potato salad.
I was at a potluck a long time back and someone brought a pea salad that used frozen peas and cauliflower, I liked the flavor the peas added, so I used them the next time I made potato salad….they became part of the recipe. And if you have some that say …yuck to peas……Tim says he doesn’t like them either and he loved the Baby Red Potato Salad.
Dill and parsley are a nice fresh element, something about dill and potatoes just goes together.
Dressing…..I don’t like a heavy mayo laden dressing…..we know I am all about Miracle Whip, I also like the tang that greek yogurt or sour cream adds, so I do a half and half mixture. A little cider vinegar and and a touch of dijon rounds out the flavors.
The key to a really good potato salad is to let it set overnight…….it marries the flavors beautifully. We couldn’t wait and ate a little bit…….you have to quality control check!
We will be having it tomorrow with a pressed Italian sandwich (watch for the recipe).
For your next backyard cookout, BBQ, or picnic try Baby Red Potato Salad…….perfect summer side!!!!Print
- 2 pounds unpeeled baby red potatoes, cubed and cooked
- 1/2 cup Miracle Whip
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 6 hard boiled eggs, divided
- Wash potatoes and cube. Place cubed potatoes in a large pot of cold water. Bring to a boil and cook potatoes until just tender. Do not over cook, they will turn mushy when mixed. Drain and run under cold water to cool. Set aside.
- Chop 4 of the hard cooked eggs and slice the remaining two for garnish. Set aside
- In large bowl, combine the next 10 ingredients, stirring until mixed. Add potatoes, peas and chopped eggs stir to combine. Cover and chill. Best if chilled overnight.
- Garnish potato salad with sliced eggs and additional chopped dill.
Makes 6 cups potato salad.