Calling all campers ………Campfire Cupcakes!!
I am not a fan of camping. In fact, my idea of camping is a Ramada Inn with no TV. Don’t get me wrong, I love the outdoors…..I just don’t want to sleep or pee there!! I prefer my own bed and indoor plumbing…..
When I was a kid, we went camping frequently. I had relatives that owned a campground and our family was there…a lot!! One of my favorite memories from the whole camping gig was the nightly campfires. Toasting marshmallows, smores, and my Aunt and Uncle singing and playing guitar. It really was special.
With the beginning of camping season underway and my memories of campfires….it sparked……lol…..an idea!
I had seen several cake recipes with this theme, and thought it would be a great idea for cupcakes.
This is more of a process than a recipe, although I do include a recipe for a super yummy marshmallow buttercream frosting. A nod to toasting marshmallows and smores.
Make a batch of cupcakes from your favorite mix or from scratch. I chose chocolate and used brown cupcake papers. I though it would give a woody look.
Tint the marshmallow buttercream with campfire colors…red, orange, yellow, and place the frosting in pastry bags fitted with large leaf tips.
If you do not have pastry bag tips, and let me preface this by saying I DID NOT try this……you could use ziplock bags with a corner cut off. But, the tips and disposable bags are very inexpensive, and can be purchased at Wal Mart.
So here’s what I did:
Place a blob of frosting in the center of the cupcake.
Break 3 thin pretzel sticks in half……it does not need to be exact all you type A’s. Place the pretzel halves , broken end in the frosting and space them evenly around the cupcake, kinda like a pinwheel.
For your toasted marshmallow garnish, place two mini marshmallows on a wooden toothpick and using a lighter… toast them to your desired doneness. Let them rest for a minute or they will fall off the toothpick, then garnish your campfire.
I know this looks slightly daunting, but it really is quite easy and well, I will just say it ……they are cute as a button. Kids and adults will enjoy them.
Give Campfire Cupcakes a whirl for all your campers big and small!Print
- 1 box of your favorite cake mix made according to package directions for cupcake
- I recipe Marshmallow Butter cream (see below) tinted red, orange and yellow
- Thin pretzel sticks
- Sanding sugar or edible glitter
- mini marshmallows
- Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 1–13 ounce jar marshmallow fluff
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon each almond and vanilla extract
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions and bake into cupcakes.
- Prepare frosting as directed below.
- Divide the frosting into thirds and color red, yellow, and orange.
- Place tinted frosting into pastry bags fitted with a large leaf tip.
- Place a glob of frosting in the center of a cupcake. Break pretzel stick in half (I used 6 for this) and place in a pinwheel pattern with the broken ends in the frosting.
- In a random pattern using the tinted frosting make flames covering the pretzels, but leaving the ends (logs) sticking out.
- Sprinkle with sugar or glitter if desired.
- Using whole pretzels make a teepee around the flames. The frosting will hold the pretzels in place.
- Place two mini marshmallows on a toothpick and using a lighter ‘toast’ the marshmallows. Allow them to cool before placing on the cupcake or they will fall off the pick.
- Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter and extracts.
- Add powdered sugar, and continue beating on medium speed until the mixture comes together.
- When mixture is creamy, beat in the marshmallow creme.
- Tint if desired and pipe or spread on top of your favorite cupcakes or cake.