This is the story of Grilled Turkey Pepperoncini Melt.
In the restaurant business you always get requests from customers to “make me something good/ different”………you always try to please the customer. Besides, it’s fun to make up new dishes.
Tim invented Grilled Turkey Pepperoncini Melt for a customer in a place called Waldo Stubbs. Tim and I both worked at Waldo Stubbs and Tim later owned the restaurant.
Sliced turkey piled on rye bread, with swiss cheese, and a mixture of onion and pepperoncini peppers sautéed in butter. The sandwich is then grilled to golden perfection. It’s like a grilled cheese on crack!!
I must admit when Tim first mentioned this sandwich, I though OK ( puzzled look) why turkey on rye….doesn’t ham go on rye?? Now I know why (smart girls a rhymer….lol) …….this sandwich was awesome, gooey swiss cheese and a hint of heat from the peppers…….it was delicious!!
Later, this sandwich was put on the menu and named after a customer at Moonlight Bay (another restaurant Tim worked at), we think it is still on the menu today.
One change was made to the original sandwich. Instead of butter, we used Miracle Whip on the bread to toast it, its like adding a spread, but on the outside instead of the inside. It made a crispy toast to the bread and gave it the tangy taste that only Miracle Whip has.
Serve Grilled Turkey Pepperoncini Melt with pickles and chips for a super taste treat!Print
- 4 slices light rye bread
- 8 ounces deli sliced turkey
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 1/2 large onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced pepperoncini peppers
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons Miracle Whip
- Pickles for garnish
- In a small skillet over medium heat melt butter. Add sliced onions and pepperoncini peppers, sauté until onions are translucent. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spread each slice of rye bread with 1/2 tablespoon Miracle Whip.
- On a microwave safe plate heat turkey for about 30 seconds to heat through, add an additional 30 seconds if needed.
- Place a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. When the pan is hot place one slice of bread Miracle Whip side down onto the skillet. Top with 2 slices of swiss cheese, half of the turkey and half of the onion paper mixture. Place the remaining slice of bread with the Miracle Whip side up. Grilled each side until golden brown. Watch carefully so as not to burn the sandwich.
- Slice sandwich in half and serve with pickles on the side.