Trying to eat healthier, trying to cut back on meat, and eat more veggies?? Chipotle Lime Cauliflower Tacos are for you!
It’s no secret that Tim and I love Mexican food. When we first started dating, we went to a local Mexican restaurant before the movies, nine times out of ten. The restaurant itself was nice, mostly booths, kinda dark and romantic. The food was good, but the company was better. We have a new taco place these days as our dating taco place closed. 🙁
Chipotle Lime Cauliflower Tacos rival anyplace we have ever had tacos. This good with no meat? Impossible you say? I’m here to attest that these are super duper and extra delicious!!
Cauliflower tossed in a smoky, spicy chipotle sauce, made with honey, lime and chipotles in adobe, then roasted to perfection.
Black beans made into my version of refried beans. Black beans smashed with onion, salsa, and cumin make the base of the taco.
I’m sure many of you already know this trick but…….I have always cooked corn tortillas in a skillet. Sprayed with a bit of coconut oil and tossed in a hot pan. This time I just threw them on the open flame of my stove….OMG. Perfection, slightly charred and toasty warm. I did have a friend tell me today not to try this if have an electric stove, she said they just stick…ugh!
Simple cabbage, cheese, and cilantro top the Chipotle Lime Cauliflower Tacos.
I found this recipe….that I have modified at Eating Well Magazine. Recipes from this actual magazine and the website are great for those who are trying to eat “well” or those who like to “eat” well. Loaded with fantastic recipes check them out!
Super simple and these tacos can be made in advance. I roasted the cauliflower and made the beans the day before I served them. Reheat the cauliflower in skillet with just a touch of oil and warm the beans in the microwave.
Heat the tortillas and prepare for your taste buds to be awakened!
Chipotle Lime Cauliflower Tacos are so good you won’t even miss the meat!
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1tablespoon chopped chipotles in adobo sauce (see Tips)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt 1 small head cauliflower, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans,reserve 2 tablespoons juice, drain and rinse beans
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 2 tablespoons prepared salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- ½ cup crumbled cojita cheese
- Sliced regular or red cabbage, fresh cilantro, for serving
- Avocado optional
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with non stick cooking spray.
- Combine lime juice, chipotles to taste, honey, garlic and salt in a blender.Process until mostly smooth.
- Place cauliflower in a large ziplock bag, add the sauce, seal the bag, turning the bag over and over to coat cauliflower with sauce.
- Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle sliced red onion on top. Roast, stirring once, until the cauliflower is tender and browned in spots, 20 to 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl place drain black beans and reserved juice and smash lightly leaving some beans whole. Stir the red onion, prepared salsa, and cumin into black beans, season with salt and pepper to taste. Heat in microwave until warm, about t 1 minute.
- Warm tortillas over open flame on a gas stove or in a large skillet.
- To serve in warmed tortilla layer black beans, roasted cauliflower and top with cabbage, cheese, and cilantro.