Crockpot Tarragon Leek Chicken
Sometimes, when you are either lazy, time is of the essence, or it’s just to hot to cook, a girl needs to bring out the crockpot. This recipe is quick to throw together, and you can have dinner ready when you need it.
Tender chicken breast with baby red potatoes, sweet peas, and leeks for that mellow onion taste. Low fat sour cream, a few smashed potatoes, and a touch of fresh tarragon make a creamy sauce for this “all in one” dish……meat, potatoes, and a veggie.
I really am not usually a fan of chicken in the crockpot, its kinda sickly white, so I sautéed the chicken just to give it color. I cut the potatoes in half….mine were small, so if you have larger potatoes cut them in quarters.
A word about leeks……wash them very well, or you will have a mouth full of grit. I cut mine in the way they need to be for a recipe, them plunk them in a bowl of cold water, swish them around and let them set a minute. Use a slotted spoon to get them out of their…….bath. Then use as indicated in the recipe. The first time I used leeks in a recipe I made the mistake of just rinsing the whole leek and the result was…….grit…..yuck!
If you do not have fresh tarragon like me……my tarragon was so out of control I had to move it from the garden to its own area. It’s a huge bush……I swear it was four feet tall and about that big around. You can use dried, but I would cut the amount in half……it’s a strong flavor, and add it when you put the chicken in the crockpot.
So, how did it taste………well let me put it this way……..Tim does not like peas and he thought is was really good. I love peas and I thought the same.
So, if you are looking for quick, ready when you are meat and potatoes dinner, try the Crockpot Tarragon Leek Chicken.Print
- 6 small new red potatoes, halved
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 leeks, halved lengthwise and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces, throughly rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup frozen (or fresh ) peas,
- 2 tablespoons low fat sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- Place the potatoes on the bottom of crockpot. In a skillet over medium high heat in 1 teaspoon coconut oil, sauté chicken breast just to brown.
- Transfer the browned chicken, leeks, wine, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook, covered, until the chicken and potatoes are tender, on high for 3 to 4 hours, or on low for 6 to 7 hours.
- Transfer the chicken and all but 4 of the potatoes to plates. Using a fork, smash the remaining potatoes into the cooking liquid to thicken.
- Add the peas and sour cream and cook just until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes. Spoon over the chicken and sprinkle with the tarragon.