So, one more week to go for the big day. In case you have been living under a rock you know I mean the Super Bowl!! As I have said earlier I am not a huge sports fan, but how can you not have a little excitement over the biggest game day of the year. Folks wait all year for the game, the commercials, and of course the food!!! People plan for their Super Bowl parties all year. Burgers, nachos, snacks of all kinds and of course…….Meatballs. I happen to think meatballs are the cornerstone of any party because who in the world does not like them! You can use any kind of ground meat, and flavor it in so many different way. My recent post of Chicken Enchilada Meatballs has been one of my most popular recipes to date. You may want to add them as part of your game day feast. But I also think these Hoisin Meatballs can be that surprise element that every host needs to have for any party……..you know that dish that no one expects but they end up loving. Give these a try. They are easy to make and can hold in a crock pot easily. They have that definite Asian flare with sesame oil, ginger and garlic. Plus I make my own Hoisin Sauce……..I know kinda overkill because you can by it……….but I like to try different things and you can adjust to your personal taste if you make it yourself. Plus you can have bragging right to “I made it all myself”. So add these tasty Asian style meatballs to your Super Bowl fare and be the hostess with the mostess………………
Asian Flare……Hoisin Meatballs
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup Panko crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large egg
- 5 green onions, thinly sliced, divided
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Homemade Hoisin Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic pepper
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl combine ground chicken, sesame oil, Panko crumbs, fresh ginger, garlic, egg, and 3 of the sliced green onions ( about 3/4 of them). With clean hands mix all ingredients well. Form meat mixture into 18-20 meatballs. I use an ice cream scoop to ensure uniform size.
- Place meatballs on prepared baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes or until cooked through and are browned.
- To make Hoisin Sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Pour Sauce over meatball. Garnish with remaining green onions and sesame seeds.
If you plan on holding the meatballs in a crock pot I would double the sauce recipe.
Keywords: ground chicken, panko crumb, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, peanut butter, appetizer,