Who doesn’t love a loaded baked potato????? Loaded Baked Potato Grilled Cheese ……..a loaded baked potato sandwich style.
Last Sunday was a gloomy, yucky, rainy, icky……you get the picture day. On days like that comfort food is just what a body needs. It gives you internal sunshine……since Mother Nature has not cooperated this Spring!
A nice warm baked potato, smothered in sour cream , bacon, cheese, and green onions, is the perfect comfort food. How about we turn it into the ultimate grilled cheese? Now there is a sparkling idea. I have always loved grilled cheese and tomato soup when I am feeling down, so at super duper grilled cheese should be a pick me upper!
And boy howdy was it ever. Sour dough bread toasted to perfection, stuffed with cheddar cheese, sour, cream, bacon, potato slices, and green onions. It was lip smacking good!
Loaded Baked Potato Grilled Cheese is all that a loaded baked potato should be….with bread!!
Buttery crispy outside, cheesy melty, gooey, bacony, potatoey, sour creamy, green oniony inside, you can just feel the warmth and comfort.
Sour dough bread was my bread of choice, but use whatever kind of bread you want, its for your comfort. Spread with butter on the outside, sour cream on the inside.
Crispy bacon, and reserve that bacon fat to fry the potatoes. Speaking of the potatoes…….I sliced them thinnish, not see through thin but thin. I fried them in the reserved bacon fat…….this sandwich is not for the calorie faint of heart.
Let the layering begin………sour cream, cheddar cheese, bacon, potatoes, green onions, a touch more sour cream, just to hold things together, more cheddar cheese, the top piece of bread…….lets get grilling.
Not the outdoor grill….to a skillet or griddle heated over medium heat. Grill/toast until golden brown and the cheese is all melty.
All thats left……..slice and serve.
Next time you need some comfort…….Loaded Baked Potato Grilled Cheese.Print
- 3 pieces bacon
- 1 potato sliced into even slices
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 slices mild cheddar cheese
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 2 pieces sour dough bread
- Garlic pepper
- On medium heat cook bacon, until desired doneness, I prefer crispy. Reserve about 2 tablespoons bacon fat.
- Cut your potato into even slices, about 4-5 slices for each sandwich. In the reserved bacon fat, fry the potatoes until browned and crispy. Seasoning with garlic pepper and salt to taste.
- To assemble the sandwich, coat one side of the sour dough bread with butter, be sure to cover the entire surface.
- Flip the slices over and on the other side spread the sour cream using 1 tablespoon on each pieces of bread.
- Layer beginning with cheese slices using two slices to start. Top with bacon, potatoes, and green onions, using the remaining sour cream to keep the layers in place, then top with remaining two slices of cheese. Place the remaining piece of bread sour cream side down over the layers.
- Over medium heat grill your sandwich until each side is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Cut in half and enjoy!