It has been HOT!!!! Let’s not heat up the house with the oven…….let’s GRILL. Grilled Stuffed Mushrooms.
Grilled stuffed mushrooms, full of gooey cheese, crispy bacon, and spinach. What’s not to love?????
I don’t know about anyone else, but when its ubber hot like it was last week, the last thing on my mind is cooking indoors. Outdoors is another story. No need to heat up the house and over tax your AC…thank you Mr. Carrier for inventing the best thing since sliced bread.
Sometimes the grocery store has a pre made item that will catch the eye. Such was the case of some stuffed mushrooms. They were stuffed with cheese and we were grilling so we threw them on the grill.
Other than the fact that they were probably not the healthiest things in the world. I recently have issue with too much pre-packaged foods, maybe because we have been eating too much of it. But they were little bites of heaven.
My mission was clear……to make my own version. Stuffed mushroom are pretty straight forward to make and you can stuff them with most anything.
I knew I wanted to use cheese,a given and cream cheese makes things super rich and creamy, besides every recipe I researched had cream cheese. They all couldn’t be wrong!
If all else fails, bacon is your friend. I swear it could make the worst thing take great. O.K. maybe not liver, but most anything else. So, a veggie would be nice, spinach. A nice green color, good for you, and tastes great with bacon.Everything gets all mixed up and stuffed in the mushroom cap.
For my money, baby bellas are the best stuffing mushrooms, but any nice sized mushroom will work. Be sure to remove the stem and wipe them clean with a damp paper towel or a mushroom brush.
I had a mushroom brush at one time and I don’t know what happen, but it disappeared. I can hear my Mom saying “Well it didn’t grow legs and walk off”……I sure do miss my Mom. But for cleaning mushrooms they are a great gadget to have.
The cool part of stuffed mushrooms is, you can make them in advance and cook them at your leisure. Outside, on the grill, with your choice of beverage.
Grilled Stuffed Mushrooms make a great appetizer, or can be a side dish for grilled meat. Give them a try for your next cookout!
- 8 pieces bacon, cooked crisp, reserving 2 tablespoons for topping, reserve
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 16 oz whole mushrooms
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese mix
- Salt and Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Prepare grill.
- Using a damp paper towel or mushroom brush wipe mushrooms of any visible dirt and remove stems.
- In a small skillet, heat reserved bacon fat over medium high heat. Add shallots and sauté just until translucent. Add spinach and cook until spinach is wilted.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, Panko crumbs, 1 cup cheddar cheese mix, egg, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Add spinach and bacon to the cheese mixture. Mix until evenly incorporated.
- Place mushroom caps onto a small sheet that will fit your grill or use a grate made for the grill.
- Fill mushroom cups with cheese mixture I used a small ice cream scoop and then pressed down lightly so you can get more filling in.
- Sprinkle each stuffed mushroom with a little bit of reserved cheese and bacon.
- Grill about 20 minutes.
- Alternately you can bake in a 350* oven for the same amount of time.