We like to snack…..seriously, I mean, we really like to snack! We snack instead of meals, or maybe I should say, we make snacks our meals.
Layered Oriental Chicken Dip with Wonton Chips……wow ….thats a mouthful, literally and figuratively !
With both of us working full time and my drive being 40 minutes each way…….I know, but thank God for Audible and audio books…..it’s hard to cook supper every night.
Hence…. the snack supper. Sometimes it’s popcorn, other times a pizza, or maybe Tims Dip…now, we have another snack to add to the list……Layered Oriental Chicken Dip with Wonton Chips.
When you first look at the recipe you will think , she has got to be kidding! When you read it, it seems long and complicated, but it really isn’t. It does have a lot of components, but they come together quickly.
It reminds me of the layered taco dips, but with an asian flair. Dip = cream cheese, but cream cheese, if not mixed with other ingredients can be a little stiff even after it is softened. So, mixing a little Miracle Whip ( we all know by now how I feel about mayo….not my thing), some greek yogurt, soy sauce, garlic and ginger….the perfect cream cheese layer.
Next layer….the chicken. I am a huge fan of ground chicken. I favor it over ground turkey. Just my opinion, but it has a better flavor. Mixed with soy sauce,and Sriracha for spice. I wanted red and green cabbage, carrots and green onions in my chicken mixture, kinda like the filling for lettuce wraps.
Being a two person household, if I had to buy 2 heads of cabbage and a bag of carrots, something would be in the trash next week…..we just can’t use large amounts before they spoil. Enter my friends from Dole…..they have a salad mix called
Dole Sunflower Crunch Salad Mix …hallelujah all the things I wanted, plus some kale…..good for you…..yeah!!!
No huge amount of left overs. As a matter of fact, I used some of the leftover chicken mixture, the remaining salad mix, and the peanut sauce for a salad for my lunch today. I still have a few days of school left. Ho Hum!!!!
Drizzle the layers with peanut sauce. This sauce is really spicy, so if you have a favorite recipe or want to purchase peanut sauce, please do so.
Green onions, cashews and cilantro for garnish. Pretty, spicy and hmm, hmm, hmm!
Dip needs chips….. either egg roll wrappers or wontons would work, but I chose wontons. I like their lightness, and they bake up like a dream. I just got a new toaster oven…..sometimes the regular oven is too much, too long to heat up and it heats up the house…..great in the winter, not so much in the summer.
The dippers were easy, peasy, just a spray of coconut oil, and a sprinkle of garlic sea salt. McCormick’s makes grinders in a bunch of different blends, I use them all the time. Fresh ground and great blends…..woot!
These chips take just a few minutes and you can make them ahead ( if you are a planner) and store them for a few days. Just watch them, as they go from not done, to slightly more than golden (a.k.a. burnt) in a minute!
The dip turned out to be awesome, and on top of that good looking ……a head turner if you will. So, snack away my friends………..snack away!!!Print
Layered Oriental Chicken Dip with Wonton Chips
- Peanut Sauce
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce, or more to taste
- 3–5 tablespoons water
- Wonton Chips
- Coconut Oil Spray
- 20 wonton wrappers
- Garlic Salt McCormick Grinder
- Cream Cheese Layer
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons Miracle Whip
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon each chopped fresh ginger and garlic
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- pinch of sugar
- pinch of salt
- Chicken Layer
- 1 pound ground chicken
- coconut spray
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cup salad from a package of Dole Sunflower Crunch Salad Mix
- 4 green onions , chopped, divided
- 2 tbsp chopped cashews
- cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Peanut Sauce
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, mix hoisin sauce, 3 tablespoons of water, peanut butter, and sriracha sauce, and mix just to blend ingredients. Microwave until warm about 1 minute.
- Won Ton Dippers
- Cut the square wrappers in half to form rectangles.
- Spray a baking sheet with coconut spray. Lay wonton pieces out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Spray with coconut oil and grind a light amount of Garlic Sea Salt on won tons.
- Bake at 375 for 6-8minutes or until wontons are brown and crispy. Watch them carefully as they will burn quickly.
- Serve with Layer Asian Chicken Dip.
- To make in advance dippers may be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- Cream Cheese Layer
- In a food processor combine all ingredients until well blended.
- Chicken Layer
- In a large skillet over medium high heat cook ground chicken, garlic, ginger , and half of the green onions until chicken is no longer pink and starting to brown.
- Add Sriracha, and soy sauce. Cook for 1 minute. Add 1 cup of salad mix and heat for just a few seconds just enough to mix well. You may need to add a tablespoon of water if the mixture looks dry.
- To Assemble
- In the dish of your choice ( I chose clear go you can see the layers). Layer ingredients as follows:
- Spread the cream cheese layer in the bottom of the dish evenly. Place Chicken mixture over cream cheese. Drizzle with peanut sauce. Sprinkle with remaining green onions, cashews and cilantro.
- Serve with wonton dippers.