Pizza time……..let’s take a trip to the islands……… Twisted Hawaiian Pizza.
As you all know we love pizza, and eat it all the time. One would think we were Italian……maybe by food proxy????
Tim and I had not made a homemade pizza on a loooooong time……….but the time arrived this weekend. We love Hawaiian Pizza……..Canadian bacon, pineapple, and we add onion. Not sure if thats the norm, but it is for us.
My homemade pizza dough was rising and I was off to the frig for the rest of the ingredients.
If I have one tip to give to anyone about cooking…….prep as much as you can ahead of time.
When I make something I chop, peel, diced, mince…..you get the idea, anything that be done ahead I do.
But wait……I didn’t have Canadian bacon, tip #2………learn to improvise. I had ham…..sorta the same. So I commenced with the chopping.
The crust is the hardest part to this recipe and even that isn’t all that tough. I wanted to do a little fancy twist….pardon the pun.
I cut the dough into eight pieces, rolled them into ropes, and twisted them, and coiled them around until I had a twisted crust.
All the toppings on and into the oven for about 25 minutes. To me the best part of a pizza is the crust. I like it either really thin and crispy, or as with this pizza, thick and chewy. A true crust lovers pizza.
I think it turned out great…….Tim loved it, so success. Twisted Hawaiian Pizza …….a new twist on pizza.Print
- 2¼ teaspoon yeast
- 1⅓ warm water – 105-115*
- 3½ cup flour
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 6 tablespoons pizza sauce, homemade or store bought
- 1/4 pound deli ham, chopped
- 1/4 of a red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 cup I Italian blend shredded cheese
- Combine yeast and water in a stand mixer or large bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until incorporated. If using a stand mixer with a dough hook, knead dough for 7-10 minutes until smooth and elastic. If you are not using a mixer knead dough on floured surface for the same length of time.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and cover. Let rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Punch dough down and divide into 8 pieces.
- On a lightly floured surface roll each piece of dough into a rope shape. Twist each top shape and coil onto a pizza stone or cookie sheet covered in parchment paper. Repeat with each piece of dough, continuing until you have a large twisted circle.
- Preheat oven to 450*
- On top of your twisted crust spread the pizza sauce evenly over the crust.
- Then top with ham, red onion, pineapple, and cheese.
- Place pizza in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Slice and enjoy.