It’s a simple little recipe, for a simple little salad……..Basil Corn Salad!
Sweet corn season is upon us, albeit a short season…..it in this bloggers opinion it is the best season!
Corn has been a favorite since I was a kid. I never cared if it was fresh, frozen, canned……..boiled, creamed, or just heated with some butter. I would eat it with any meal. Heck ,when I was a kid I would eat it straight from the can……my secret is out…….
Fresh corn on the cob, dripping with butter and salt……nothing can compare. It’s a simple summer pleasure.
But, what do you do with the left over…..assuming you have any……corn? If you have no leftovers just cook some up…….
Apple cider vinegar, olive oil, sugar and a pinch of salt make a light dressing, that gives a little burst of background flavor.
Basil Corn Salad is a taste of summer!!!!
- 5 ears fresh corn, shucked
- ½ cup finely diced red onion
- 3 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper ½ cup fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- Place unhusked corn in microwave and cook for 6-8 minutes. When the corn is cool, enough to handle, husk and cut the kernels off the cob, cutting close to the cob.
- Toss the kernels in a large bowl with the red onions. In a small bowl whisk together vinegar, olive oil, sugar salt, and pepper. Pour over corn mixture and toss. Just before serving, toss in the fresh basil. Serve cold or at room temperature.