Cheesy Chili Mac
Precautionary/Preparedness – Windy Chill Advisory – Wind Chills as low as -24………Quick make some Cheesy Chili Mac!!!!!!
I know other parts of the country have suffered extreme winter weather, but we here in Northern Illinois have really been spared…….for the most part. Not to say that we haven’t had Old Man Winter here, but compared to last year, this winter has been a breeze…….
Today is extra, extra breezy, and flipping cold! I don’t know about anyone else, but when its this cold, a nice pot of chili hits the spot!
When we were kids…….I know I am getting gold cause I use that phrase……A LOT!!!! Yikes!!! Anyway, the folks at Chef Boyardee had Chili Mac and I loved it! Chili, macaroni, heat and serve……what could be better? Cheesy Chili Mac of course.
Prepared product were just being to gain favor back in my day……gosh I sound old………it was a real treat for Mom to buy us Chef Boyardee. Canned spaghetti, chili mac, and of course my all time favorite, SpaghettiOs. They came in thee styles, plain, with franks, and with meatballs. I liked the meatballs, my brother liked the franks, and we both loved the plain……..and here is where I gross you out. A favorite treat for us was SpaghettiOs, french onion dip, and potato chips. We dipped the chips in the onion dip, then the SpaghettiOs…….it was the best.
Fast forward X amount of years…..not that I would not eat SpaghettiOs that way again in a heartbeat, but my tastes have been slightly refined. Hence, Cheesy Chili Mac…….a combination of chili, pasta, and but of course…….cheese!
This is one pot cooking, and easy, peasy at it’s best. You can through it together in just a few minutes with pantry items you probably have on hand. No need to make huge mess in the kitchen, and that means less dishes…….which makes the dishwasher….Tim 🙂 happy.
Brown up ground beef, with onions and spices. Add tomatoes, broth, and beans. Bring it to a boil, add the pasta, when the pasta is cooked top with cheese. Super duper easy!!!
Make a pot of Cheesy Mac and Cheese and snuggle up with the one you love, no matter the weather where you are!
And be brave, its only 34 day, 2 hours, and 51 minutes until Spring!
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1½ tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cocoa
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound uncooked Campanella pasta ( you can use any shape pasta)
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Heat coconut oil in a stock pot over medium high heat. Add garlic, onion and ground beef, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, and cocoa. Cook until beef is browned and cooked tough, breaking up beef as it cooks.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, and beans, Bring to a boil and stir in pasta. Return to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until pasta is cooked through, about 13-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Place shredded cheese on top, cover to let the cheese melt, about 2 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley, if desired and serve.