Chickpea Salad With Apples and Pecans
Chickpea, oh chickpea, how do I love thee……..let me count the ways……..
I eat chickpeas everyday, and no, I am not exaggerating. At the High School in my School District, we have a very large ala carte line with lots of great food items. We also have a rocking salad bar, on which we have chickpeas….a.k.a. garbanzo beans. I have a salad daily and I load on the chickpeas.
Chickpeas are a great source of protein (good for vegetarians), loaded with fiber, contains vitamins and minerals and significantly boosts your intake of manganese and folate. So kinda the Superman of Beans !!
Making a salad with them seemed like the natural thing to do. I made a kinda tuna salad from them. Mashed up the chickpeas, added shallots, celery, dill, and for extra crunch and yummy flavor, some crisp apples, and toasted pecans. Just add lemon juice and a touch of relish and you have a chickpeas salad that will rival a tuna salad any day of the week!
I wrapped mine in lettuce leaves, but it would be awesome on toasted whole grain bread, or stuffed inside a pita.
So, next time you want a light, refreshing, and crunchy salad……try making Chickpeas Salad with Apple and Pecans. Perfect for you vegetarians or if you want to try a meatless Monday!!
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzos beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ apple, cored and chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- ¼ cup toasted chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons dill relish
- 1 large shallot
- juice of fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill chopped
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Pulse the garbanzo beans in the bowl of a food processor or blender until coarsely chopped.
- Transfer to a medium bowl and add apple, celery, pecans, relish, shallot, dill, lemon juice, and celery seeds.
- Stir until well combined. Season with pepper and chill until ready to serve. Wrap in lettuce leaves or serve on toasted bread or stuffed in a pita.