After years….and years in the restaurant business, you pick up a few tips, tricks, and some really great recipes.
This is one of them……having baked potatoes on the menu in a restaurant you tend to have left overs……what do you do with them??? Rosemary Bacon Potato! At a restaurant I worked at the Chef took left over baked potatoes and made little individual packets of these potatoes. We called them Granny Potatoes at the restaurant. They were a huge hit….folks loved them.
I started making them in larger packets…..aka family style. They were and are, great for cookouts and perfect on the grill. You can make them in the oven also.
I made them this past weekend for a family dinner. My brother, nephew and his girlfriend came for dinner. I wanted to make something that I could prepare in advance, so all I had to do was pop them in the oven. I hate to be stuck in the kitchen….you can’t enjoy your company that way!
I did make these a bit different than the original restaurant version, I used left over baked potatoes……that I intentionally baked to have left over. In the original recipe they used what is called Whirl in the foodservice business, it is a butter alternative…….doesn’t sound very good does it? Real butter is better, and I added the rosemary. I love rosemary with potatoes.
In Latin, rosemary means “dew of the sea”. Rosemary is very aromatic and pungent. Its needlelike leaves have pronounced lemon-pine flavor that pairs well with lamb, focaccia, tomato sauce, pizza, potatoes and pork, but because its flavor is strong, use a light hand. They say smelling rosemary can increase your memory by up to 75%…..I should be wearing a vial around my neck……lol.
The recipe calls for a baking time of 45 minutes, but feel free to add time if you prefer your potatoes a little more browned….like me!
Rosemary Bacon Potatoes are a wonderful accompaniment to any meat or fish dish. Making them ahead makes lets you enjoy your dinner and your company.
Whether you make them family style or in individual packets, try Rosemary Bacon Potatoes next time you have company ….you will enjoy the company and the compliments !
- 4 large baking potatoes, baked and cooled
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 1 stick butter , cut into small cubes
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre heat oven to 400* or prepare grill.
- Place a sheet of heavy duty tin foil on cutting board or cookie sheet. Make sheet large enough to fold over and make a packet. If you are cooking on the grill I recommend doubling the tin foil. Spray with non stick cooking spray.
- Chop cooked potatoes into large chunks, place on tin foil. Top with onion, bacon and butter. Sprinkle with rosemary, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Fold tin foil over to form packet and seal. Bake/grill for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven/grill and carefully open.The steam that escapes will be very hot.