Quick and easy…Chicken Enchilada Skillet.
The Holiday Season is here, with all of it’s crazy, busy, hustle and bustle. So, why not make dinner a snap? Chicken Enchilada Skillet is just that dinner.
Tim and I love enchiladas, but lets face it, they are kinda a pain to make……all that dipping, stuffing, and rolling……..not to mention the baking time.
So, lets deconstruct them and make it easy on ourselves, but still have the same great taste.
I have a breakfast recipe Fiesta Egg Skillet, that I got from one of those little cookbooks that are in the checkout lane at all the grocery stores.
I must confess I had a “ton” of them at one time. Every time I went to the store and saw a new one…..into the cart it went.
The Fiesta Egg Skillet uses corn tortillas, sautéed with onion as its base……so, why not do the dame thing with chicken and enchilada sauce!
I sliced the corn tortillas into strips, and sautéed them with half a large onion. Then added the chicken. I used a rotisserie chicken ………it’s about the same price as an uncooked bird and the work is done.
The rest is just a can dump, a can of green chilies, can of diced tomatoes, a can of enchilada sauce, and a can of tomato sauce. Spice for this dish can be controlled by the heat of the enchilada sauce you buy.
No self respecting enchilada does not have cheese, I like the Mexican blends you can get these days, but if you prefer you can use a single flavor of cheese.
I put a cup over the skillet, placed the lid on for a few minutes until the cheese was all melty.
Then serve………I used a bed of shredded lettuce, and topped with sour cream, green onions, and cilantro….all of which are optional, but if want the total Enchilada experience …..use the toppings.
Chicken Enchilada Skillet is and easy, quick, chicken enchilada with out all the hassle and with all of the taste!!Print
Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- Yield: 4 1x
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil 12 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1/2 large onion sliced
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 4 ounce can Green Chilies, undrained
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 10 ounce can red enchilada sauce (heat is your option)
- 1 8 ounce can Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack blend cheese, divided
- Garnish – Shredded lettuce, sour cream, green onions, and cilantro
- Melt coconut oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add tortilla pieces and onion; Cook over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent and the tortillas begin to crisp. Add chicken, and then pour undrained tomatoes,enchilada, tomato sauce and chilies over chicken mixture in skillet. Mix well. Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over chicken mixture. Cover skillet; cook 5 minutes or until hot, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Serve with shredded lettuce, sour cream, green onions, and cilantro if desired.